Starter solenoid with three connectors

Pete Dabbs

Hi guys. My starter solenoid appears to have three studs to connect to and doesn't look like the one in the build manual.

I connected the two plus one brown and the red battery feed to the one terminal that looked most like the one in the book and the red and white to the other most likely candidate.

Now i have come to connet up the battery I'm  connecting the red first and then get a splash when i try to connect earth and a whirring from the solinoid area im not close enough to be sure what it is. 

Can anyone advise me?

20190922_163959.jpg

20190922_164006.jpg

Hi on the solenoid end there are two big heavy terminals and a smaller one normally a male spade connector but sometimes a smaller diameter stud

1 of the big heavy terminals with a nut on has another wire already on it which goes into the starter body, nothing else goes on here.

the other heavy terminal has the battery cable and permanent live feed wires on it 

the red/ white from start on the ignition switch (easy to confirm with a meter) goes to the male spade / smaller stud

thus the ignition switch fires the solenoid which bridges the two big terminals allowing battery power to the starter

hope that helps

• Like 1

That make perfect sense and would explane my problem! 

Thank you. Just need a bit of dry weather to make the change now.

• Like 1