Mark Crompton

The only tracks I have had problems with are Bedford and Goodwood tbh, I have done most of the tacks in the UK with out any problems 

Bedford I had the Omex TB on which is why, they're a lot noisier.

and 

Goodwood I had the standard Honda TB (but Goodwood is low on the noise limit, should have been taking the Mini but we ran out of tyres :laugh:)

I think @Rednop1 has an S2000 kit for sale, unless he has sold it 

39 minutes ago, Mark Crompton said:

I'm in Rugeley don't suppose any of you are local ish to me?? 

I'm about 150 miles south in sunny Somerset. If you're down this way shout.

• Thanks 1

Can’t comment on the track day stuff, not on my radar yet, but would echo all the comments by the Sport 250 group, our main users issues are on ground clearance and heat under the bonnet.

For me the car provides all I can use and more, and I was more than happy with the handling of the car on the road, but after getting my ground clearance sorted with a new sump and then had the suspension setup correctly, it’s now providing more confidence as it’s that much sharper into corners inspiring you to experiment with entry and exit on corners that bit more.  After setup, and after only a few miles it seems to be running cooler, to be confirmed b4 I make any foolish claims.

After investigation into Ford EcoBoost engines in general, I’ve learned not to get hung up on the oil temp,  modern oils are ok up to 120DegC so oil cooler not something I’m going to do at this point in time,  but under hood temp is another thing, and I’m planning a few changes on air flow and air feed into the air filter/engine as I’m not happy with the current WF idea of the pipe hanging down by the RH suspension, at all.

If it’s raw power your after then the EcoBoost 1600 has a lot more development options available and Dave Gemzoe’s Caterham 1600 I believe in at or above 300BHP, and it’s a much lighter engine, although it’s currently broken after a track incident.  Something to look for on the 2.0L EcoBoost is the std Ford ECU is not mappable but WF are now supplying a 3rd party one that is mappable if yo desired that capability.

My Sport 250 weighs in at 690Kg without my fat ass in it, but then again mine is very much build for me and not track work.

Seen at least 1 other S2000 with the double exhaust can setup, 1 above another, specially for track day work, at one of our club meetings so must have been done for noise - can’t comment on induction noise.

We have done a lot of mileage over the recent weekends, some of which was chasing Barnsley John in his S2000 and it was great fun and didn’t find myself looking for more from my 250 and that was b4 the setup work. Can’t comment on direct comparisons between the 2, but as AdgeC says car has tremendous pull from very low rpm, and I’ve pulled away from junctions from stand still, in 3rd gear, but not to be recommended.

During “testing” have been north of the 1ton club, buy a quiet a BIG margin, enough to make my lift off blood quick as I’d have lots driving privileges by the men in blue, and think it was still pulling hard, but TBH think my eyes were quite wide as my first experience going that fast on 4 wheels in a 7.

I did look at the S2000 car b4 starting my journey but even then the engines were becoming harder to find and even harder to find one that didn’t need tearing to bits and rebuilding from the ground up.  A decent 2nd hand one would seem to be like hens teeth these days, so if you know of one i’de keep it on the QT. 

Gust my 2P worth but remember Red is fastest :westy:

• Like 2

On 23/09/2019 at 17:51, Mark Crompton said:

I'm in Rugeley don't suppose any of you are local ish to me?

I'm not to far from you @Mark Crompton but unfortunately I'm busy this weekend and weather is poor, plus I'm still rebuilding after a slight mishap last weekend :(.

When its back together and a dry day I don't mind popping.  Ill keep you posted!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The only issue I’ve had with noise was at Mallory when I pinged the meter at 106db on a drive by, not had an issue anywhere else but I do tend to only book the noisiest days. I am running ITB’s though.

o & :ww:

On 25/09/2019 at 21:02, LukeW said:

I'm not to far from you @Mark Crompton but unfortunately I'm busy this weekend and weather is poor, plus I'm still rebuilding after a slight mishap last weekend :(.

When its back together and a dry day I don't mind popping.  Ill keep you posted!

That would be great luke thanks!!!! What damage have you done mate?? Are you driving the s2000 or the 250 sport??