Good brakes

Storvite

11 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Annoyingly, and BMW are terrible for it, so many modern cars that are intended for the performance saloon/hatch/et al market segments have started to exhibit the same thing over the last few years.

Interestingly, the 'M Sport' brakes (made by Brembo) are much, much better that the standard BMW brakes. They actually have decent peddle travel, the braking force is fairly linear through the travel and so they are easy to modulate. They also really stop the car when you need to.

Climbing out of my M135i into my Dad's bog standard 3 series, I've nearly gone through the windscreen. Massively overservoed, with all the power in the first couple of inches of travel, then nothing. Such a strange way to do things.

The sad thing is that it clearly works on a lot of the population. My wife says she hates the brakes on my car, as they don't feel like they're doing anything. She is just far to used to crappy overservoed ones that she only has to rest her foot on to stop.

• Like 3

Exactly, Driven loads of current and recent generation five series, and a few three’s and all have been the same - though none with the M Sport package - good to know they’ve got a properly configured system, at least.

• Like 1

The other upside is that they seem to be really overspecced for the 1 series, so they aren't exactly overstressed. I've only gone through one set of pads in 90k miles, and I haven't been driving it gently!

• Like 1

On 19/09/2019 at 05:19, Storvite said:

Yes it’s just the amount of effort required, this is what I’d like to reduce 

Get down the gym Stu

• Like 1

I wasn't enamoured with the brakes (M16) on my Westy when I first got the car, and although knowing it takes a good amount of pressure due to the non-servo set-up, I was still not impressed. Even with sportier pads, it made little difference.

After the brakes seized on the way to Stoneleigh this year, I bought new replacement M16 calipers and Mintex pads - the improvement was night and day! You still have to stomp on them but now they stop good - clearly it was the semi-seized calipers that were the fault.

Now my problem is that the M1144 pads squeal like a raped pig at slow stops in town (quiet when braking out on the road) - all very embarrasing, it's that loud and getting worse. The pads came with these funny backing plates that only covered half the piston, they just looked wrong so I didn't fit them. The previous pads had an adhesive (kevlar?) that stuck to the back of them, can you get something like that on its own for retro-fitting?

(edit) I've just found this, might do the business https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINTEX-CERATEC-LUBRICANT-GREASE-AND-4-ADHESIVE-ANTI-SQUEAL-BRAKE-PAD-SHIMS-SHIM/251292559571?hash=item3a823428d3:g:OEMAAOSwd4tUHVex

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Now my problem is that the M1144 pads squeal like a raped pig at slow stops in town

We had the same problem, and got some of These from eBay - looks similar to the ones you've linked to. They've made everything much better, and would definitely recommend them. They still squeal sometimes, usually at low speeds, but change the braking pressure slightly and they go quiet. 

• Like 1

Found out today that the brake bias was not set correctly, been adjusted today so looking forward to retrying it😉

5 hours ago, AdamR said:

How did you manage that without driving the car? 🤔

Linkage was loose and not pulling up correctly