Introducing my Westfield SEiW (Aerorace)

Andrzej

Hello and welcome from sunny Scotland, congratulations on getting your westy I enjoyed the video

yes it can be a bit daunting when you first start working on cars but Westies are simple and straightforward in the main.

that said don’t be afraid to ask any questions on here we may be a distance away from you but there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on here and most of all enjoy her

Welcome and what a great first post.:praise:

Welcome to the club I’m sure you’ll find lots of support here and your video looks great

Welcome Andrzej - I’m glad you managed to get signed up as per our emails! Car looks like a lot of fun 👍

Welcome :ww:

Great videos,  really enjoyed them. Good camerawork.:yes:

Hope your Westfield generates a lot of interest in Poland, Will we see more Polish owners in the near future?

Well done on the rebuild, looks and go 👍 

Thank You All for the warm welcome !

Yes, Westfield truly generates a lot of interest on track / in depo , not only among other drivers.  But I am not sure if I want more Westfields around on track - that means more competitors ;) 

As for the video from outside, on some trackdays there is a company with experience in recording every car , they know where to place camera, and make a lot of work later with putting all together. 

As for the track, it is specific track, with veeeery slippery so-called "karting" part . When wet it is gettig worse : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kqIokGE290

Well, not sure how the Westfiled can handle it in Wet... I am thinking of some modifications , like addig a Racing Traction Control (cockpit operated power of control, know cars with it and it helps a lot on exits )  . But it needs ABS sensors on the wheels to work . So far I can not figure out how to fit a ring for ABS sensor on Cortina upright in front.

Not sure also what WET tyre sizes would be better for wet track. Especialy in rear - wide one  like dry tyres  (240mm) ? or of less width than dry (200??)  ? maybe I find some answers here in archiwes in this forum .

My personal opinion is that you won’t need more than 195s with 200bhp. 

Dont worry about the wet either, traction control not required, westfields are fine with some confidence and practice. 

Even Nankang AR1s work in the wet if you drive hard and get some heat in them (as @AdamR showed me) 

• Like 2

As Russ says, the best traction control is your right foot 😁 Narrower tyres work better in the wet for me, they heat up faster and cut through surface water more easily.

Plenty of practice in the wet is key, a lot of people shy away from wet driving when in fact its the best time to learn how to drive your car.

I know a guy who does a lot of track stuff in Poland (in an M3, Alex Zoltowski, maybe you know him?) - the locations and events look brilliant!

Welcome and hope you continue to enjoy the car 👍

Edit: after watching your videos, it looks like a quicker steering rack (or shorter steering arms, depending on which uprights you have) will make a huge positive difference to the car.

Yes, but practice in the wet conditios in open car is... lets say something I am not familiar with  :)

I have no full confidence how the electricity is going to behave , and myself wet in racing suit. And then the traction and grip oeverall. But have to try, I know it, maybe this autum .

Many racing instructors says that in rain is best training.

As for Alex , no I have not met him yet.

As for the foot as TC :) propably with a loooot of trackdays (in wet , ouch :) )  it will work as TC, but TC I am thinking of,  makes lap Times better. You do not lift gas on exit (gaining time) just push throttle pedal , make some corrections and drive with confidence. It has settings from zero reaction  to full . 

Here is some info , it is not an ordinary car TC as we know from serial cars, it is race TC system :

http://racetcs.com/

But again, on dry conditions  after just  2 trackdays I can feel pretty confident on exits , first trackday it was in, I had some parial or full spins on exists :) . So yes, Westfield looks like pretty friendly to driver.

As for the rack i  think it is  2,4  steering rack and I think it is ok, on slow tide corners one after another , and hot front slicks mine hands was tired :) Not sure if there are quicker racks for Westfielrds ? Mine is from used car, so it might be worn in some way. Do not know if that is what You think of, but I can feel some play on steering wheel.

Oh, and I changed rack fitting clamps to stiff one - aluminium, not original with rubber.

Steering arms .. I am not sure which I have, all I know there are Cortina uprights .

• 1 year later...

Hello!

would like to present some update after a Year of tinkering and driving my Westfield Aerorace .

Photographers seems to like the car :) kitcars and super7ths derivatives are rather unusual here , so after a Year I have collected a lot of pictures :) and a bench of cups from different trackdays :) 

I am still getting to know the car, not easy,  but thaks to so many good advices from the WSCC Members(!!!!)  it is getting more fitted to me (or I am getting more fitted to Westfield ;)

( the website is in Polish but it is not  very extensive,  and I hope one picture tells more than 100 words) 

https://aswestfield.wordpress.com/