Patio- re-laying

DamperMan

The patio I planted a few years back got attacked by the beast from the east.  There have been some rockers and my pointing concrete I must have mixed a bit weak and has broken down as this year I could blast it out with a pressure washer.  I spent most of Saturday chasing out the pointing but realised most the slabs where very easy to lift.    Sunday afternoon I simply lifted all the slabs and axed off the raised bits between them.  I started to score the below concrete with a grinder and chip up 10-15mm of material but it took an age to do the area of one slap i decided to hit continue.      The challenge is I don’t want to gain much height around the outside as it was level with the wall.    These are real sandstone slabs.    I know they need a full mortar base.    across the middle i was planning about 10-15 mm, around the outside a thinner slurry with some SBS to get it to bond to the cement below.     Any better suggestions?    6C6B0BAA-1E8F-4695-8B10-5E2B61DE2ED1.thumb.jpeg.9b5e682bdf54a68b3cb714f6bcac3012.jpeg

8C4BF820-92DF-4A2B-BC20-FFDD921BA2CE.jpeg

Is the hardcore working properly? Bind it with sand if needs be and vibrate. Don't have the mortar too strong - 1:6 would be plenty. Wet the slabs thoroughly underneath before you lay them. 4 or 5 spots of mortar would be best. Good luck! 

The base is solid, first down was the MOT wackered down.   Then about 3 inches of course cement graded to get runoff.   Then i’d Put a fairly wet mix of sharp sand cement at about 4:1 iirc to which I floated the slabs on.   I think my biggest mistake was not wetting the slabs so they sucked the moisture out before a bond was made.   

4 hours ago, DamperMan said:

I think my biggest mistake was not wetting the slabs so they sucked the moisture out before a bond was made.   

Agreed but I'd also weaken off your mortar too. 

• 1 year later...

@DamperMan I feel your pain and tears! I had similar issues after laying my sandstone patio about 10 yrs ago or so despite laying it on a full wet bed mortar.

I lifted the loose ones or any other suspect ones and then relaid them but using sbr and slurry mix as you say (spraying back of slabs with the hose also to reduce slurry mix drying out to quickly).

I then repointed it all by hand again but I had a mix of sbr and water which I carefully brushed into the joints and along the edges of the slabs to aid with the mortar to bond with the stone, and then really packed it in hard.

I took it really personally that I had done something wrong but I have been to so many friends houses who have had their patios laid by professionals and seem to have had similar issues, what made it worse was I laid mine in a heatwave so everything was drying out quickly....

6:1 mortar is what I used also.

A mate of mine who does a lot off groundwork and patios did say to me to add some sharp sand to the mortar to aid with binding it together.

Maybe I was be a little ambitious as I had never done this before but this was my finished result, it needed 20 tonnes of scalpings to get it to the finished height to work with the bifold doors, and the stones were a ball ache to cut the curves into but with the steps it turned out good, just needs a good wash when summer comes??!!!??

Good luck

16252082070468802395516607176757.jpg

• Like 1

Just done this job myself, i used sharp sand hosed the slabs off to clean off any dust painted the back with a sbr,cement,water slurry mix and pointed them with the brush in resin. All seem firm at the moment but haven't stood the test of time yet

just seen the post was from 2 years ago 😀 

Moderators note:

This thread re-surfaced after a spammer, whose post has now been removed dredged it back to the surface! 

21 minutes ago, Andy - a15cro said:

Re-surfacing, how apt! 😁

@Captain Colonial beat you to it! 😉

*shakes fist at @Andy - a15cro in frustration* 🙇‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Andy - a15cro said:

Re-surfacing, how apt! 😁

@Captain Colonial beat you to it! 😉

Good of you to flag it up, but I’m just paving the way for him!

1 minute ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Good of you to flag it up, but I’m just paving the way for him!

83731404-767F-4C8E-8A42-81EFBBF3DDAD.gif

• Haha 1

I see I shall have to curb my enthusiasm!

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I see I shall have to curb my enthusiasm!

Welcome to Level 2:

16F9F1B5-6428-465F-B545-1250C1CE014E.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Moderators note:

This thread re-surfaced after a spammer, whose post has now been removed dredged it back to the surface! 

Thank goodness for this......I saw this earlier on and thought how the hell have I replied to something in 2019 (2020 in my mind already has been written off)! 

Annoyingly you all have done a great job with the puns so much so that I think this was the last time I laid anything 🙈