Mega S2000 wheel bearings.

Scotty72

Developed some play in the wheel bearings. Front nearside slight play, rear nearside excessive play, offside front very minimal, offside rear slight play. I assume this is due to high cornering forces from trackdays (mainly Donington). The rears definately need replacing.

Is it a big job? Do I need any special tools such as bearing puller?

Any help from you guys would be appreciated.

I've done mine a couple of winters ago.

Really easy job with 2 routes.

First off, buy some decent quality bearings from (say) Burtons,, then either buy a bearing tool (looks like a big tapeted washer you hit with a hammer) or take your hubs round to your local garage and get them to fit them for you (about £10-£20 depending how tight the garage is)

I've replace my offside one twice and gone both routes above, buying a cheap bearing tool from eBay the second time.

The key is getting the old bearing out then the new one in square

• Like 1

32mm Scott

I did mine the start of the year, I have access to a press a work so able to take in the hub assembly and press out/in.

Torque is 330Nm for hub nut on the rear shaft, not sure if its the same torque for the front.

• Like 1

The front is a taper bearing, using a castellated nut and split pin so nowhere near that tight.

Basically just tighten it until the play is removed then back off until the split pin locates.

Plenty youtube videos if you're unsure...

• Like 1

Don’t forget the front ones are adjustable to take up any small degree of play. (Not worn to the point of rumbling bearings or excess play, but if there’s only a little play, they may just have bedded in and need a tweek).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

(Not worn to the point of rumbling bearings or excess play

Theres are no noises and very little play in the fronts. I'll look into how to adjust them.

If you take the dust caps off the centre of the bearing - they just press in, you'll see a greased up castellated nut beneath with a split pin securing it. (Because the split up can only go in certain positions, it's possible to be slightly slacker than ideal, when first built). Pop the pin out, and try turning the nut by one division and then pinning it up again, see how that goes. (If it's very slack, it might need tuning a couple of divisions.)

• Thanks 1

What size is the nyloc type rear hub nut? Just tried to put a tape measure across whilst the wheel is still fitted and looks to be around 40mm across the flats

12 minutes ago, Scotty72 said:

What size is the nyloc type rear hub nut? Just tried to put a tape measure across whilst the wheel is still fitted and looks to be around 40mm across the flats

HI Scott, I'm pretty sure @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary used a 40mm socket to tighten mine.

12 hours ago, Scotty72 said:

So, got a 40mm socket today and it was too small :bangshead:

Think its actually 42mm!

Oops. Have you not dropped the wheel off and measured it yet?

1 hour ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Oops. Have you not dropped the wheel off and measured it yet?

Yes but its difficult to read as the thread gets in the way.