Harness's

snowy892

Hi,

Just brought myself a couple of new seats from Westfield (sports turbo) now with all the different variants of Harness's which ones do I go for?

I use the car mainly for road use, but may do a track day one day, when I get brave enough!!

Thank you.

I've got a 5 point harness on the driver's side and a 4 point on the passenger's side. You miserable git I hear you say but the passenger doesn't have a steering column in the way! Feel really comfy with 3" belts and a 2" front strap. Have your seats got a slot for the front strap? I got my belt from Playskool but I think they've stopped doing them. 

I've opted for Schroth 6 point ASM harness, although the 3inch shoulder straps rub you neck due to the eyelets in the sport turbo seats not being wide enough....

13 hours ago, CraigHew said:

I've opted for Schroth 6 point ASM harness, although the 3inch shoulder straps rub you neck due to the eyelets in the sport turbo seats not being wide enough....

Where did you attach the crotch straps with the Schroth harnesses and the sport turbo seats? I've got Schroth 4 point harnesses, and was considering getting the extra crotch strap, but without a hole in the seat I couldn't work out how to fit them or whether they'd actually work as expected!

Yes that stopped me buying a 6 point system for a while.

I actually Hunted down a pair of seat "grommets" (they were called something different and quite hard to find) but after speaking to the factory and then to the seat manufacturer in Telford I was persuaded to feed the lap belts under my but then exit the seat between the upright and the base.

Once the seat was out the straps located without too much hassle.

I then ran them down to the rear lowered floor panel and bolted them into place using a strengthening steel bar back and front.

The Schroth website has details of the required angles needed for belt safety etc so it's worth following their guidance.

I was also a bit uneasy about sitting on the crotch straps but apparently it's quite common in some race car applications, again I talked to the belt supplier when I bought them and they put my mind at rest about that.

One final point, the neck rubbing problem was solved by buying a pair of Schroth pads for the shoulder straps.  They're nice and snug now.

When the car was last mot'd I specifically pointed out the lap belts bolts etc to the tester and he said they were absolutely fine, as strong as any of the other harness anchor points.

I'd send you a couple of pics but currently enjoying the sun in Southern France.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rory's Dad said:

I've got a 5 point harness on the driver's side.....

Can I ask, to what did you attach the 5th (crotch) strap? Do you have any photos?

I cut a slot in my JK seats which have a proper base. Position was as per the Schroth sketch (I think). The slot is in front of my wedding tackle so not too 'difficult' but pulls the buckle down firmly and properly. My seat is propped up at. the front with a piece of wood and the seat is fixed through it. I cut two slots in the wood just to take the straps (the surplus is under the seat). I then screwed the straps into the wood with some good thick washers and decent screws and then put it all back together! Alternatively, you could also bolt the  straps to the front steel strip across the seat well. Not easy IMO. 

It may sound a bit dodgy but holding the buckle in the correct position at the very moment of having a head-on crash is all I'm after. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Rory's Dad said:

holding the buckle in the correct position at the very moment of having a head-on crash is all I'm after. 

I would agree, a crotch strap, when fitted correctly, keeps the buckle and lap belts in the correct position around the pelvis rather than having them ride up the torso ready to damage vital organs in a sudden stop situation...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

I would agree, a crotch strap, when fitted correctly, keeps the buckle and lap belts in the correct position around the pelvis rather than having them ride up the torso ready to damage vital organs in a sudden stop situation...

True, but incorrectly tightened up harness can in extreme, result in something called a de-gloving injury when crotch straps are used. So if using five/six point systems, it becomes even more critical that they are correctly done up when in-use. (Which is often much tighter than people think, or feel comfortable with)

It's one of the reasons I went for the Schroth harnesses, with their built in anti-submarining feature.

(Note I'm refereing to adjusting them as you fasten them, not the physical mounting to the car.)

7 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

True, but incorrectly tightened up harness can in extreme, result in something called a de-gloving injury when crotch straps are used. 

Not sure I want to know which part of your body might end up being degloved in that situation... 

Cheers @CraigHew, might have a look at doing that. 

On 11/09/2019 at 14:25, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

It's one of the reasons I went for the Schroth harnesses, with their built in anti-submarining feature.

Me too.

Although I've recently been told of crashes where ASM has resulted in worse injuries due to the ASM giving on initial impact which has meant torso not held by belt for further impact.