BMW I drive rebooting every 30 secs

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

I've spoken to this company today: https://www.revtronic.com/ Very knowledgeable. However they can't fix mine currently and have a pile (circa 15) with the same defect. They are blocked by BMW and Magnerti Marelli to the parts needed to repair them. 

image.png.1496672accde8708e712faf752167bf0.png

I soon had access to the offending item (CCC) Car Central Computer

image.png.a85e29e08ea28a4fe252b44293839845.png

Same size as a conventional audio head unit, even if buried in the dash!

Made in Slovakia

image.png.6029ad0fe7818189e61514b788df000a.png

image.png.cb8a3093d8fe0a2d7c4956e67363f365.png

Nicely colour coded rear sockets

image.png.0049b27b035e7fdbd86276b35bd4e8f1.png

No HDD inside unit:

image.png.3917a01e4368d374212458e52d141fd7.png

Put it all back together again and it's still not working. The fuse box labelling is so confusing, It was quicker/easier to pull the unit out than work out which fuse feeds the unit.

I'll go an do battle with my BMW Main Stealer now!

• Sad 2

Never got those problems on me old cortina.......😁

Hope you get a satisfactory fix...

• Haha 2

Oh, the perversity of it all.. I had an Alfa with German made car computer/entertainment gadget, and you have a German car with Italian made computer/entertainment. Guess the Italians were smart enough to not use Italian electrics ;)

Ditto, hope you get a satisfactory and not too painfully expensive fix.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been at Main Stealers for two hours. My phone has told me I’m driving, so I suspect ‘coding’ has fixed it :yes:

the ‘suits’ haven’t told me this yet though. 😂

Fixed :yes:£90 inc Vat for ‘recoding’. Can’t explain why😂

• Like 4

At least it's working again, could have been much worse!

As I strongly feel this to be a bug and the consumer should be able to reset (like you can on your router/phone/pc etc), and I've wasted many hours, I wrote to BMW UK to be told:

Good afternoon Ian

Thanks for your email about the issues you’ve had with your iDrive. I’m sorry to hear about this – I can understand this must be disappointing.

I’ve spoken to Liam in the service department at BMW Knight North Staffs about this. He’s confirmed that you didn’t want them to carry out a diagnostic of your vehicle, you only wanted them to reprogram your iDrive - which they carried out. But, I’m afraid this is at a cost to yourself and not something BMW UK would look to cover or reimburse you for.

As you’re no longer within your warranty period, we feel it reasonable for the owner to cover the cost of work carried out to their vehicle unless a manufacturing defect is found during a diagnostics.

I realise this isn’t the answer you were hoping for and I’m sorry for any disappointment caused.

If there’s anything else we can help with, please let me know.

I wrote back and asked for their complaints procedure. The first step in the procedure is to speak with the Service Manager or Business Manager at my 'Stealership'. I've done that and they initially advised they couldn't do anything as it's a BMW UK issue! I asked for this in writing so I could go back to BMW UK. The 'Stealership', called back shortly after to say they are sending me a CQ for the £90! :praise:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1