Aeroscreen buffeting

NigelO

Interesting - I travelled 140-ish miles to Northampton Motorsport and back on Tuesday - as I knew I was going to use the M6/M1 to get there, I put my half-doors on

Buffeting (even at crash helmet level) was reduced significantly, suggesting its not just the aeroscreen

7 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Yes they do make a big difference. 

I expected them to make a difference, but only at torso / shoulder level - I was surprised to find they made any real difference at head level

10 minutes ago, NigelO said:

I expected them to make a difference, but only at torso / shoulder level - I was surprised to find they made any real difference at head level

Yes I see what you mean. I was thinking more of overall buffeting I suppose (from my experience)

Some of the drivers of our lightweight sports cars look like they could do with a little less buffeting  🍕😄

• Haha 4

• 5 months later...

I've got a double bubble aeroscreen and really prefer it over a windscreen but having read the above I wonder if the blade type aeroscreen would be even better?

Who's tried both?

• 4 months later...

Update on the aeroscreen buffetting issue

I slotted the lower / side mounting holes and managed to get another 10mm or so of height on the screen, which also slightly increased the angle of the perspex element of the screen. This has had two results:-

1) I can see even less of the road surface now and I clobbered a few potholes on my Sunday run around the Peak District

2) Buffetting is worse at anything less than about 85mph - I reckon the top of my head is right in the point where the airflow from the screen starts to "tumble", which resulted in a VERY unpleasant "hammering" effect - my vision was even blurring slightly. After about 85, the buffetting decreased quite noticeably, but I'm not sure that will stack up as a defence in court....

So - there's only one more thing to try before I justify spending some cash on a carbon aeroscreen - I'm going to slot the lower mounts downwards and decrease the height of the screen. This will obviously mean I get more air hitting my head, but the reduction of angle might mean that my head is in stable airflow, rather than vortices

I'll update after the next sunny Sunday....

• Like 2