F3 Crash

Andrew

What on earth are the FIA playing at?

Invest in research in improving safety and make tracks safer with extra run off areas   THEN  create a car launching device, mid corner, on the 150mph Parabolica.!?

After the death of Jules Bianchi, crashing into a tractor at Suzuka in 2014, I thought what is the point of all the safety improvements when a tractor is placed on the track at the most dangerous area where a car has just slid off in the rain?

More joined-up thinking needed.

Hope he takes the time to thank the engineers who designed that car though. Cracking piece of engineering to allow a person to walk away from something like that. 

On 08/09/2019 at 12:53, DonPeffers said:

What on earth are the FIA playing at?

Invest in research in improving safety and make tracks safer with extra run off areas   THEN  create a car launching device, mid corner, on the 150mph Parabolica.!?

After the death of Jules Bianchi, crashing into a tractor at Suzuka in 2014, I thought what is the point of all the safety improvements when a tractor is placed on the track at the most dangerous area where a car has just slid off in the rain?

More joined-up thinking needed.

The side effect of removing gravel was that drivers now had no fear of running wide or cutting corners. So going faster into a corner was the un-intended consequence.

The sausage kerbs were to prevent drivers taking those liberties with track limits and I agree that if they are going to be implemented then more thought is clearly required.

Ideally what we need is a track limiting "device" where safety is not compromised but where there is a clear disadvantage to breaching track limits. Gravel is out. Something slippery is likewise just as iffy. What about a "shell-grip" type surface that is very abrasive so that they hurt the life of the tyre? No danger of inducing an immediate failure but taking a few laps of life out of them so they hit the cliff earlier or start to blister must surely not be beyond the wit of man.

• Like 1

Why not flash up a message to the driver warning of first infringement and then if there is a second one it results in a drive thru penalty or 20 seconds added to race time?

The biggest issue I find with this is consistency. Watching every f1 race I see some circuits where track limits are enforced others are not. Exceeding track limits needs to be enforced consistently at every race. I've heard the usual blurb from the FIA about they only enforce where the drivers gain an advantage. Nonsense. If there was no advantage to be had they wouldn't be out there.

Rather than launching some poor soul skywards isn't the answer. What if someone was trying to avoid an accident or had lost the car mid bend. They dont deserve the wrath of the sausage kerb.

Everytime a driver exceeds track limits with no real reason add a 1 second penalty. It would remove the advantage gained and it would stop it overnight.

These guys are the best in the world (well apart from Vettel who looks like his heads gone) if they cant keep at least one wheel on the track then theres something wrong.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Proper racing - like it 👍

The Dijon Duel! Epic racing and it was only for 2nd place (I'm sure it was Jabouille who won that day). 

Gilles Villeneuve was my hero when I was a kid, I cried my eyes out in '82 when he died (I was only 9 before you judge me! Haha)... The last of the F1 drivers who got to top tier of motorsport through sheer talent rather than money. 

15 hours ago, RobH72 said:

The Dijon Duel! Epic racing and it was only for 2nd place (I'm sure it was Jabouille who won that day). 

Gilles Villeneuve was my hero when I was a kid, I cried my eyes out in '82 when he died (I was only 9 before you judge me! Haha)... The last of the F1 drivers who got to top tier of motorsport through sheer talent rather than money. 

Villenueve was spotted in Canada by McLaren driver James Hunt who told Mclaren they should sign him up before someone else did . Mclaren tested him but decided not to sign him !

Enzo Ferrari recognised his talent and signed him up,  mainly because  he reminded him of the great Tazio Nuvolari .

Viilanueve spent 6 years with Ferrari,  driving an outdated car , the problem being the flat 12 engine being unable to make room for ground effect which was coming in .  He won races with some amazing driving , you were not alone shedding a tear on that day .

• Like 1