Dash2 brake warning light

TomW

Hey again Everyone,

I've been wiring up my dash 2 but I've come across a strange problem,  the handbrake warning light doesn't come on.  I've put a picture as to how I've attached it in all the areas on the car but I'm totally stumped. (Handbrake is on in this picture!)

IMG_2694.jpg.5550ddd57741239113849ad55b1a3b75.jpg 

On the loom I put my mulitmeter across the green wire and black wire from the loom,  handbrake up I get 12v across the green and black wires, handbrake down i get 0v so if i had a normal bulb connected it would work properly.  I spoke to Ian at WF and he seemed a bit stumped too,  he suggested I flip the connections on the loom to test so connect the green to the black and I get a light on the brake warning light,  it just doesn't turn off.

Anyone got any ideas?????

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2689.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

Have you got Con1 and Con2 connected to the right sockets on the rear of the Dash2. I.e. They aren't swapped round?

Hi Ian,

Seems to be the right way around, all the other inputs I’ve put in so far seem

to work ok, I have correct fuel level etc so I think they are the right way around.

I’ve attached a picture anyway!!!

33193025-11F4-4547-842C-42F416CB96BE.jpeg

I assume you've got the attached manual?

Are you using the factory provided loom adapter?

image.png.da2b0e0b5f30270b24b8c7b45f91749b.png

Follow the green/white wire from Con1 to this loom and then remove whatever wire you've got plugged in on the chassis (non Dash 2 side). 

Then connect a wire to ground to the green/white connector. This should bring the brake warning light on (Note the input to the Dash2 needs to go low (0V) for the lamp to light) :

image.png.a0d44ff373b4576ba9625ee70a0089ec.png

If this works, you then need to work back from the loom adapter to the handbrake switch and work out why it's not working as it should etc.

Note also that this lamp should light when the brake fluid level is low.

westfield-dash-instruction-manual-v32.pdf

Hi,

Tried pretty much all of this and still no joy,  removed the insulation tape so i could trace the wire in the loom,  retried several times now strangely my light works on the opposite to what everything says,  nothing when connected to ground, however it lights and works correctly when connected to a live source<MODERATOR EDIT- Don't do this as you may cause damage to the Dash2, this input needs to go low to activate the LED, it's held at 3.6V buy a pull up in the Dash2)  and also if I ignore the dash 2 and just hook up a bulb to the standard loom it works fine and correctly.  

Really not sure what else I can do now,  I'm going to carry on and hook up most of the other dash bits in case its somehow related as i don't have all the switches etc connected yet.

if anyone has any more ideas I'm all ears in the mean time :)

Wow, how strange. Time for you to talk to Race Technology. 

• 3 months later...

Hi @TomW

It was good to talk with you recently. I was sorry to hear this problem was fixed. I've taken a look at what you've written above, I'm confused where you state "nothing when connected to ground, however it lights and works correctly when connected to a live source and also if I ignore the dash 2 and just hook up a bulb to the standard loom it works fine and correctly" As suggest, I try another Dash2 in your car from someone local.

I've done the attached guide to hopefully make things a little clearer. Call me at some point and I'll talk you through fault finding it with a meter, if you've got one? Double check you've got the two 12V feeds and the two O volt feeds correct the the dash2 connectors.

Dash2 Handbrake and brake fluid level circuit- Jan 2020 IK.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
clansman

Just a thought but is there any difference between a Westfield supplied unit/wiring harness and direct from Race Technology?

57 minutes ago, clansman said:

Just a thought but is there any difference between a Westfield supplied unit/wiring harness and direct from Race Technology?

Yes. The Westfield retro fit loom enables owners to remove the traditional gauges and plug the removed wires onto the loom easily. It also comes with plug and play instructions to guide you through the connections 

I doubt the one from RT would be so straight forward.

I’ve been working behind the scenes with Tom and we’ve not exhausted all tests yet. We’ll update the community once it’s resolved 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @TomW I've edited your post above as another user has stuck 12V up this input, as his isn't working correctly either. I'm supporting him to and together we'll get to the bottom of this! 

CraigHew

Quick random thought @TomW.  You do have enough brake fluid in the reservoir?

Low fluid will trigger the Dash2 idiot light, same as pressing on the top of the yellow reservoir cap....

2 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Quick random thought @TomW.  You do have enough brake fluid in the reservoir?

Low fluid will trigger the Dash2 idiot light, same as pressing on the top of the yellow reservoir cap....

He's not with his car at present, hence hasn't been able to test further. The issue isn't the light on when you don't expect it as could be the case with your suggestion. The issue is the light is off, and doesn't come on when the handbrake is pulled up or the brake fluid low signal is sent.

CraigHew
1 minute ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

He's not with his car at present, hence hasn't been able to test further. The issue isn't the light on when you don't expect it as could be the case with your suggestion. The issue is the light is off, and doesn't come on when the handbrake is pulled up or the brake fluid low signal is sent.

Oh sorry, maybe I mis-understood...

• 2 weeks later...

@CraigHew thanks for the suggestion but it’s not that.  It’s as Iank said the bulb doesn’t illuminate at all and I don’t have the car at the moment.  I’ve tested the light circuit quite comprehensively now with Ian’s help and it seems to be something to do with the dash2 rather than anything else.  A plain ordinary bulb works exactly as expected.