Converting a Tonneau into a Boot cover? Possible.

Kris Mc

So I’ve just purchased a SEiW Zetec and it’s great, car came with a tonneau cover which  zips down the middle, only issue is that the belts fowl the tonneau cover if trying to only use half of it and it’s a bit bulky to just leave the boot cover section clicked on and both sections rolled back. So I was thinking .... cut them off?

Has anyone sliced right across the cover and put an additional zip across the back so the cover is in 3 sections!?  Ie cut right behind the seats? Ideas and opinions before I get chopping!

Would you cut along the back seam(red), between the seams(green) or front seam (yellow)?  Red would be the easiest for the centre zip to work better but doesn’t leave enough material to fully cover boot opening?

85E168B2-CF91-4AA0-B6B0-E36DAC011B45.jpeg

My suggestion would be unpicking red, with coverage of the boot box achieved with an extra strip sown over or under the new zip in a similar fashion to the "storm flap" covering zips on a decent mountain waterproof jacket.

Gary

I had one ‘adjusted’ like you are suggesting by Andrew at ToyBox cars when I bought my car. He has a local seamstress who does them - very pleased with the flexibility.

I cut down the yellow line with a sharp blade and a bit of wood to keep it straight. Pure butchery, but does the job, and don't really notice it now 🙂