MattV

Clutch woes - how to bleed?

MattV

Hi All,

A quick blat on Tuesday eve turned into a painful 30 miles home with no clutch.  Pedal went soft and wouldn't disengage.
I stopped to have a nose under the bonnet, thinking the cable had snapped, only to discover I have a hydraulic clutch.  A push start from a kind passer-by and managed to limp the 30 miles home without having to stop.  Further investigation reveals that the clutch master cylinder is empty, which leads to a couple of questions:

1) Where did the fluid that was in there go - I guess I must have a leak somewhere?

2) Refilling - I assume this is just a case of refilling the master cylinder with brake/clutch fluid?

3) Bleeding the system - I'm told my car has an MT75 gearbox (mated to an 1800cc silvertop).  Where will the slave cylinder be located?   Whats the best way to get to it?

4) I have an eazibleed pump thing - can I use this for the clutch or is it best to do it manually?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks

Mat

IanK (Bagpuss)

Hi @MattV If you follow the hose from the master cylinder you'll find the slave cylinder. I'd check for leaks along the hose as you go. I'm not familiar with the location of the slave on your setup, sorry. You should have a clutch release fork coming out of the bell housing somewhere and the cylinder will be on the end of it!

There are some types where the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing too.

You can reflill with brake fluid and there should be a bleed nipple on the slave. I did mine manually but you need two people.

Hopefully someone who knows your setup better, will be along shortly with more knowldege!

Meatibald Archpants

Not to teach you to suck eggs, but you’ve def got either a leaking master, slave or hose, so something will need replacing!

Trevturtle

33 minutes ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

You should have a clutch release fork coming out of the bell housing somewhere and the cylinder will be on the end of it!

And if you can't find that it means you have a concentric slave cylinder around the gearbox shaft (in the middle of the bell housing).

The feed from the master cylinder enters the bell housing on the driver side (10am looking rearwards)

The bleed nipple is accessible through a  square rubber grommet , passenger side at the bottom (5pm looking rearwards)

While you've under there check for oil, it sounds like you have a leak)

HTH

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Normally, the Westfield MT75 set up uses a concentric clutch slave cylinder arrangement.

The hose from the pedal end runs to the top of the bell housing, where it disappears down through a hole to the salve cylinder.

sticking out the same hole, is a short pipe with a bleed nipple on the end.try topping up the MC first, as it’s not uncommon for a little fluid to be lost from the system over time, you might just get lucky and it only need a top up.

However, anything more, and I’m afraid it’s engine out to access the slave cylinder and the clutch end of the hose.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Oh and yes, you can use an easy bleed, but it’s not too difficult by hand, either.

GaryH

Hi Matt

Sorry to hear about your clutch woes. Before you do too much under the car it'd be worth looking to see if you have a remote bleed system fitted. It'll look something like the one in the attached picture. The metal braided hose is the bleed tube it will come out of the bell housing usually near to where the input hose goes in. Mine is mounted on a bracket attached to the scuttle end of the cylinder head. Bleeding is done through the nipple on the top. Take care they can be stuck or fragile. I used plus-gas to help undo the one on my car. An easibleed is fine, but make sure that you have a well fitting catch pipe and bottle.

Gary

IMG_20190814_212625.jpg

MattV

Thanks for all the replies. 
I remember seeing a metal braided flexi hose from the master cylinder going into a solid metal pipe which disappears under the tunnel at the top of the bell housing on the drivers side. 

Hopefully the original builder will have put in a remote bleed as per @GaryH.

Will have a look at the weekend and report back. 

thanks everyone