NickBW

Quick Release steering boss

NickBW

Hi all.

Just looking around at which QR boss everyone is using.  I can see go-racing and Playskool seem popular on here.  Go-Race seem appealing since its a straight swap if i purchase the GT with the westfield steering column.  But looking at the PlaySkool video of the RapidFix, it looks like a great piece of kit.  I think playskool are out of stock at the moment with the 6 hole adaptor.

Do WSCC members get discount with PlaySkool?

How easy is it to weld the slug to the steering column

Is there anyone who has either the RapidFix or Go-Race QR boss?

Thanks

Nick

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Luke can arrange getting the slug welded to the column for you.

Theyre such a safety critical item that most tend to get them professionally fitted. The typical process is to both sleeve and pin them together before welding up.

The Rapfix really is a lovely piece of kit.

For those that want bolt on solutions, the BG system is also very popular with Westfield owners. It’s designed to bolt on to any six hole mounting boss. Bolt on bits do a slim line RDX mounting boss for the Allegro/Defender splined Westfield steering column. The BG quick releases will bolt straight onto this.

QR unit

https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/B-G Racing-steering-wheel-quick-release-system

Boss

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-SLIMLINE-Steering-Wheel-Boss-LandRover-Defender-48-spline-300Tdi-Td5-Tdci-/361290273131

The B-G unit is very good quality, I’ve used one for five years now. Not as good as the Rapfix, though it’s less expensive, to be fair. But being bolt on can be useful!

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

I have the Go Race one and really like it. Luke actually sorted out the welding on the boss for me. I would have got the one he supplies, but initially I wanted a bolt on version - only later did I change plans. 

Geoffrey (Buttercup) - North Yorkshire AO

I have the Rap Fix one from @Plays-Kool

It is such a great item to use, feels really well made and looks the business too.

You won’t be disappointed if you bought one.

neptune

I fitted the go race earlier this year and it was really easy. I chose it because the upper column is machined as a single piece which i much prefer to a welded on slug. Just my preference. Plus you can fit the wheel in any position and it will spin and lock - no need to align the wheel to the column like some others.  Any way here it is :

20190323_105736_001.thumb.jpg.c230fb5b33e9c5f52b84ffa4738b1fb0.jpg

DE04*

Nick I have the playskool rapfix and it is brilliant,as have a few more of the Essex members..Top quality 

Kevin (Mr T)

+1 for the Rapfix

NickBW

Thanks all.

For those with the Rapfix in the essex area, who did your welding?

Chester
17 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Luke can arrange getting the slug welded to the column for you.

Theyre such a safety critical item that most tend to get them professionally fitted. The typical process is to both sleeve and pin them together before welding up.

The Rapfix really is a lovely piece of kit.

For those that want bolt on solutions, the BG system is also very popular with Westfield owners. It’s designed to bolt on to any six hole mounting boss. Bolt on bits do a slim line RDX mounting boss for the Allegro/Defender splined Westfield steering column. The BG quick releases will bolt straight onto this.

QR unit

https://www.bg-racing.co.uk/B-G Racing-steering-wheel-quick-release-system

Boss

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDX-SLIMLINE-Steering-Wheel-Boss-LandRover-Defender-48-spline-300Tdi-Td5-Tdci-/361290273131

The B-G unit is very good quality, I’ve used one for five years now. Not as good as the Rapfix, though it’s less expensive, to be fair. But being bolt on can be useful!

Quick question - what is the depth of the boss?

Meatibald Archpants

QR systems have the added advantage that you get to be the guy carrying at steering wheel round Tesco/Waitrose/The Pub! 

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
1 hour ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

QR systems have the added advantage that you get to be the guy carrying at steering wheel round Tesco/Waitrose/The Pub! 

It’s a great way to meet new people and make friends. Works a bit like a dog, people can’t help help say “aww bless” and “what is it” as you lug it around 🤣🤣🤣

Meatibald Archpants

Now I think about it, it’s a wheely good idea.

Kevin (Mr T)
12 hours ago, NickBW said:

Thanks all.

For those with the Rapfix in the essex area, who did your welding?

Luke did mine