Steve (sdh2903)

Radiator bleed line restrictor?

Steve (sdh2903)

Have read a few builds where a restrictor is fitted in the radiator bleed line back to the header tank. I can see why to stop too much flow just going back to the header. But what size is recommended?

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Typically 2 to 3mm dia seems to work OK; the idea is air should be able to get through easily, but you want the least coolant flow possible.

• Thanks 1

Davemk1

I put a valve inline on mine. I run it for some time with it open to assure the air is out and then I close it.

dave

• Thanks 1

TableLeg

I took a small piece of nylon bar that matched the inside of a nylon Tee piece to which my rad overflow pipe to tank hose is connected and drilled a 2mm hole in it. I had read the same as Dave E said 2-3mm is usual. I can hear the coolant flowing into the tank.

• Thanks 1

IanK (Bagpuss)

This is mine with a EWP80 pump and a 2mm dia hole in a brass restrictor in the hose from the rad to the coolant tank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve (sdh2903)

thanks all. Would aluminium be ok or is it likely to furr up the hole over time? I can order a bit of brass or  nylon if it's better?

AdamR

I used aluminium and its still on the car about 6 or 7 years later with no ill effects.

Steve (sdh2903)

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

I’ve used aluminium with no issues for similar time scales to Adam.

Chris Brading

Is this for a Zetec engine?

Steve (sdh2903)

It's for a v6. But same principles apply for a lot of engines really depending on cooling layout. 

Chris Brading

Thanks Steve,

I made one tonight, I realised that the small amount of coolant bypass’s the radiator via the expansion tank, the restrictor should reduce the volume of coolant doing this.

CosKev

Never thought about this🤓

I added a bleed point off the top of the water outlet from engine,as it's the highest point in the system,so I've just fitted the old oil feed restrictor from the turbo into the hose after reading this:yes:

I relocated the radiator bleed to the cold side of the rad,so will leave that as it is as you do need coolant flow threw the header tank

• Like 2