Tyre choices

Boogie

57 minutes ago, maurici said:

Westfield driven in anglesey with Road tires.

Silly Spanish between the steering wheel and the seat.

More fun that with semi slicks? DEFINITELY

Faster than anything else on track? Only a highly developed BEC Locost overtook me in the 4 laps. Track was busy-Ish so... yes, very decent pace at least.

It lacks the thrill of Heavy breaking and high cornering acceleration tho. Later in the day I scrubbed in the sprinting Nankangs A1R and nearly poo on me for the HUGE amount of grip available in comparison. 

If I had to commit to one type of tyres for my lifetime with the car, would be however, the Road tyres. (and they are only 3 seconds per minute slower than the toyos-Nankangs-Whatever).

Driving home on your track day tyres doing that all day lol

Indeed. It's completely possible!

I had the car / tyres before Maurici and I did a LOT of that sort of stuff. I think they have done at least half a dozen sideways track events now :t-up:

In fact I'd say they last better than 'track' tyres when hooning about.

They are actually 'Eco' tyres in 185 section, which gives half the contact patch of a 205 width R888 due to the tread pattern. With a half decent 'sporty' tyre I think they would actually be pretty quick. And be lighter, cheaper, safer in the rain, no need for two sets of wheels if there's a monsoon, better feedback, more fun, better from cold.

Still confuses me a bit why people ask about good tyres for road use, then fit track tyres.

Yes they last better. The tires are still halfway down only... so I expect another half dozen out of them.

5 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Indeed. It's completely possible!

I had the car / tyres before Maurici and I did a LOT of that sort of stuff. I think they have done at least half a dozen sideways track events now :t-up:

In fact I'd say they last better than 'track' tyres when hooning about.

Definitely, because they are harder rubber.

And whilst on the subject of tyres for light kit cars, comparing T1R tyres with even the budget trackday tyre is pointless. The T1r is a budget tyre. Why do so many use them? Because for many years they were (maybe still are) the "standard" factory supplied tyre. And that is/was because they are relatively cheap, and the same manufacturer offered a reasonable trackday tyre (the old 888) which the factory could offer as the "high performance/competition" option. But like Adam has often said, there are lots of excellent performance road tyres which give excellent grip on the road, and are quite sticky enough for the occasional trackday. And they will last far longer than a trackday tyre.

Last year, I ran a few laps at the Blyton weekend on the Friday trackday in my XI, and although I wasn't very quick down the straights with 110 bhp and hardly run in, I had no problem keeping up in the corners. And that was on 165 section Dunlop Steet Response budget tyres.

• Like 3

Steve... We are talking about R1R... that are not particularly budget...

T1R is pretty poo, yes.

• Like 2

I actually got on alright with T1Rs (albeit on an MX-5). Yes there are better tyres, but I'd definitely wear them out before changing them :laugh:

My car came with R888's all round - the previous owner said he was going to do some track days in it but circumstances changed and he never got around to doing any in it. My plans were/are to do some trackdays too but I havent had the time as yet. However, I'm more than happy with the 888's (althought the rears are due to be replaced next week for MOT and I could only get R888R's) 

Track days or not, it's personal preference I guess. I'm limited in the fact that I dont have a screen or any weather gear so it's highly unlikely that I would be out in the rain anyway so what I have suit me absolutely fine.

I certainly dont have the spare money to have 2 sets of wheels and tyres on the go.

Mark.

Following the discussion with a lot of attention.

I'm going to run 13 x 5.5J, so 185 70 13 it will be, but the choice is, let's say challenging. Availability, too. Any recommendation will be duly noted.

(I've had advice on continental ecocontact 3)

Where do Yokohama A539s sit in the great scheme of things nowadays? At one point they were the 1A tyre of choice with sprinters, and I think they're still the control tyre used in the 750mc Locost race series. I used a couple of sets years ago on road track and was quite pleased with their performance on and off track. 

5 hours ago, maurici said:

Steve... We are talking about R1R... that are not particularly budget...

T1R is pretty poo, yes.

Yes, the R1R is an excellent all round tyre for our cars, but when I had my old car the R1R wasn't available in 13" diameter, only (so far as Westies are concerned) in 15" diameter. Also, the R1R isn't made any more, just a few old stock here and there. I hear good reports of the R888R which replaced the R1R, but I never drove on them as I'd already sold my old car when they came onto the market. Also, they are a more track orientated tyre judging by the tread pattern, more closely related to the old 888 than the R1R. Only really relevant if you want a good wet weather tyre, but with such light cars, and with most being on rather wide tyres for the weight, the chance of getting some good grip on a flooded track surface whatever the tyre was/is in my humble opinion about as likely as finding some rocking horse poo.

4 minutes ago, stephenh said:

R888R which replaced the R1R,

Sadly, there isn't currently at least an R1R replacement, the R888R is more of a replacement/slight variation on the R888.

I remember Toyo UK candidly admitting, a few years ago, that they completely loused up the initial launch and marketing of the R1R as they hadn't really understood quite what it was and what niche it occupied, and that sadly, by the time they did realise what a great tyre it was, even though it had managed to acquire a cult following amongst customers that did "get it", the writing was really already on the wall for the tyre and it was a bit too late. So I'm not sure if it ever really will be replaced.

I thought you couldn't get road legal e marked versions any more? (Glad to be wrong though...)

Thanks for all the advice. The road tyres is an interesting option and definitely an avenue to look into. The nankang at £60 a corner is also a consideration as a good allrounder (road/track). 

Its a shame I can not try a few to see how they feel