Tyre choices

Boogie

Hi all,

im running yoko A048 185/60/13 f and 205/60/13 rear. I’ve heard that they are not doing a road legal E version any more, so will have to change my tyre type in the near future. I’m toying with trying the Nankang  NS-2R but they only do a 185/60/13 and not a 205.

Just wondering what tyres are people using in those sizes

Thanks for your reply’s 

With 13” wheels you are limited to trackday tyres, not so good for road use in wet weather or the winter.  If you do only use the car on the road then changing to 15” wheels is a better proposition, lots of tyres to choose from. Having the same section tyres makes things easier too, most of us go for 195/50/15 all round of which there is plenty of choice.

You could use a 185/70R13 in 'actual' road tyres if you need the rolling radius. A much better 'road' tyre than 888s, A048s, etc.

The R888R is very similar to the A048 and comes in 185/60 and 205/60 though.

Yeh, R888R are good for road use In the wet and cold but not in heavy rain, they are also the most expensive, about £140–£150 each.

There are still a few R1R's about if you search high and low! (but 15")

They are excellent on very wet roads and still brill on track.

• Like 1

Cheers guys. 

I think I’d like to stay on the 13’s as it saves buying another set of wheels. One suggestion I’ve had is to put 888’s on the back for road use and as they get down to 2mm use them for track. In the rain I’m only going to take it steady which they would be fine. That way I can still have 205’s, but it’s the price and how long would they last

any other ideas would be considered

1 hour ago, Boogie said:

I think I’d like to stay on the 13’s as it saves buying another set of wheels.

Though depending on how often you do track days having two sets of wheels one for track and one for road (wet track) could work out more cost effective in the long run as you won't be using your expensive track day tyres for general road use. You could probably buy a set of wheels with good road tyres for the price of a set of good track day tyres.

6 hours ago, SootySport said:

Yeh, R888R are good for road use In the wet and cold but not in heavy rain, they are also the most expensive, about £140–£150 each.

I got a pair of 205/60/13 R888R's from Ebay last week. £178 inc delivery.

Couldnt find them any cheaper than that anywhere else. I did use an Ebay voucher code though which might not be valid anymore and gave me 20% off.

They were from a place in Wrexham called JJC Race and Rally. Good service and were delivered to Devon within a few days.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361506426238?ul_noapp=true

• Like 1

I’m going to throw a grenade...I’ve never understood why those who do 1 or 2 track days a year don’t just learn to drive a bit faster on normal road tyres - surely it’s much more fun and a boost to your driving confidence to have the the limits of grip much lower, and being comfortable with the car moving at much lower speeds. 

The alternative of course, is to stick SUPER RACE XYZ tyres on and end up driving at 4/10ths because the one time you got the grip/slip transition you were going fast and it was scary....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

limits of grip much lower,

A good road tyre won't be that far behind what the OP is on now. Unfortunately 13" are limited for choice on decent road tyres, so it's pretty much 13" semi slicks in 205 and live with dicey road life, 185/70/13 road tyres with a fair selection (michelin pilot sport 3 are my faves and up there with the best) or go to 15" and take your choice on all sorts of cheap options that are about now. Loads of 80-100 treadwear rating tyres around in 15" for around £50 now.

But I 100% agree with you, for 2 trackdays a year, just drive it on what you've got. A well set up westfield on road tyres will still be faster than almost everything out there.

53 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

I’m going to throw a grenade...I’ve never understood why those who do 1 or 2 track days a year don’t just learn to drive a bit faster on normal road tyres - surely it’s much more fun and a boost to your driving confidence to have the the limits of grip much lower, and being comfortable with the car moving at much lower speeds. 

Absolutely!

21 minutes ago, BCF said:

But I 100% agree with you, for 2 trackdays a year, just drive it on what you've got. A well set up westfield on road tyres will still be faster than almost everything out there.

Absolutely 2 !

Learn to drive on ****y tyres to really understand handling and how to go fast!

My first track days and sprint competion was on T1R 's and it's very rewarding keeping up with faster machines/ sticky tyres.

Rather be the chaser than be on sticky tyres in fastest car and be chased.

57 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

The alternative of course, is to stick SUPER RACE XYZ tyres on and end up driving at 4/10ths because the one time you got the grip/slip transition you were going fast and it was scary....

Depends - my car was intensely frustrating on road tyres (T1Rs) as you knew it could go so much faster when out on track. They weren't great on the road either.

That said, I very much understand what you mean - you have to want to push to make the sticky tyres worthwhile. And cope with the aftermath. In my case that was exiting Copse backwards at about 80mph when my brother found the grip/slip transition and didn't catch it!

Overall, I'm a big fan of the R888rs. Pretty good on the road (though we don't really go out in the wet) and great on track.

12 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

I have the ns-2r on a 185 60 14. To me a good road and track compromise. They don't grip like an 888 they are a step down (can't keep up with those boys). but have good tread depth so more comfortable when it's wet. on the road never had any will they won't they moments when pressing on. Last pretty well too.

Car moves about when on track so they are pretty fun. Grip is decent enough for the 60 pounds paid a corner. 

Tyres are a subjective thing though a so difficult one

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Westfield driven in anglesey with Road tires.

Silly Spanish between the steering wheel and the seat.

More fun that with semi slicks? DEFINITELY

Faster than anything else on track? Only a highly developed BEC Locost overtook me in the 4 laps. Track was busy-Ish so... yes, very decent pace at least.

It lacks the thrill of Heavy breaking and high cornering acceleration tho. Later in the day I scrubbed in the sprinting Nankangs A1R and nearly poo on me for the HUGE amount of grip available in comparison. 

If I had to commit to one type of tyres for my lifetime with the car, would be however, the Road tyres. (and they are only 3 seconds per minute slower than the toyos-Nankangs-Whatever).

• Like 2