FW Storm Cover

MrPid

I have been chatting to Nick at Softbits about making a Storm Cover for the FW as he said he had trouble with the previous customers saying the standard ZK model they make does not fit.

He said they will need a car for a couple of days to measure up and get one made. They are fairly local to me so happy for them to use mine.

Mine has the standard Jap roll bar so I imagine they would need other cars if different roll bars are fitted.

I thought I would ask what other (if any) features owners would like to see before I take it further.

I have initially though to have it slightly longer, like the caterham style to cover the bonnet seal/join just in case people have leaking pedal box covers. I am also thinking to make sure it fits and tucks under the "spoiler" on the rear?

Cheers,

Stu

Great idea @MrPid what is the location the cars need to be at?

They are near East Wittering, just south of Chichester.

I'll prob take mine down in a couple of weeks if the weather hopefully improves.

Great idea, totally agree on the extra material going forward idea, Ideally covering the two triangular rear vents on the V8 bonnet to the front, and tucking over the top of the bodywork at the rear, to keep rain off the boot lid joint.

Be aware that there are two heights of windscreen and Jap roll bar in common use on the FW though; the original height, (which I have) and the taller windscreen version that's common on the Sport 250, but available for all Westfields.

• Like 1

There are quite a few FW's with MSA bar it would be good if a local car owner could pop down, a bit far for me!

2 hours ago, MrPid said:

I have been chatting to Nick at Softbits about making a Storm Cover for the FW as he said he had trouble with the previous customers saying the standard ZK model they make does not fit.

He said they will need a car for a couple of days to measure up and get one made. They are fairly local to me so happy for them to use mine.

Mine has the standard Jap roll bar so I imagine they would need other cars if different roll bars are fitted.

I thought I would ask what other (if any) features owners would like to see before I take it further.

I have initially though to have it slightly longer, like the caterham style to cover the bonnet seal/join just in case people have leaking pedal box covers. I am also thinking to make sure it fits and tucks under the "spoiler" on the rear?

Cheers,

Stu

I spent some time chatting to SB4S on exactly the same subject. I fitted the standard ZK cover and photographed it for them and they came up with a plan of how they would add the front extension to cover the FW vents.

Unfortunately they decided that without a car they weren’t prepared to make one up due to the risk of damaging the car with a poor fit.

I have an RAC roll bar I wonder if they could make a cardboard/wooden template that fits over the JAP roll-bar to mimic an RAC and then MSA if they had the dimensions?

I’m still very interested in buying a storm cap if they make one for RAC/MSA FW bodywork.

I’d be interested in one for my FW with standard roll bar.

Cheers Steve 

I'd also be interested in one - also an FW with standard roll bar.

• 3 months later...
On 12/08/2019 at 11:14, MrPid said:

Cheers,

Stu

Hi Stu, did you make any more progress with this?  I would also be interested in one for an FW with Jap roll bar.

thanks

Andy

Yes - Just need to arrange to get the car over to SBFS.

Weather has been awful and I then snapped my throttle cable.

Once i'm back on the road i'll get it over asap 🙂 

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

I have chased SBFS as there has been no progress after nearly a year.

I am keen to look at other suppliers as I have lost confidence in SBFS's ability to actually produce the cover.

Any recommendations welcome.

assume sbfs still need a local member with a fw who can take their car over for a measure?

2 hours ago, marcusb said:

assume sbfs still need a local member with a fw who can take their car over for a measure?

I am local to them and have offered many times. Plus in the meantime they have made two half hoods for two other local members, taking full measurements of the FW model in the process. They even came out to measure the cars themselves.

No excuses really. I just get the impression they can't be bothered or simply not interested.

That's interesting.. I contacted, then sent the measurements and then the hood arrived 4 weeks later in fact last week.. all with the clips and parts needed. JAP roll-bar. fitted myself.

SEiW ZK bodywork

2 hours ago, gazzwesty1 said:

That's interesting.. I contacted, then sent the measurements and then the hood arrived 4 weeks later in fact last week.. all with the clips and parts needed. JAP roll-bar. fitted myself.

SEiW ZK bodywork

Not an issue with SB4S supplying parts that they advertise on their website - I have a 1/2 hood and it's excellent.  The OP was related to a Storm Cover, they do one for ZK bodywork but not FW and there are lots of FW owners - me included -  that would like one that stretches down the bonnet to cover up the two big vents that let water into the scuttle area and fit over the FW rear bodywork.

• Like 2