Westfield Webshop Improvement Ideas?

Westfield Chesil Parts Dept

Good Afternoon All,

It has been a while since I started and I hope you all have seen improvements on the webshop. The biggest feedback I received when I first started using the forum and speaking with customer was the carriage charges. We looked at the costs internally and reduced the costs and all levels. Me and Jason are working behind the scenes to make browsing and purchasing easier. We have recently moved to a different server which has dramatically sped up the shops performance. Whilst reviewing and looking at changing the shop we would like to know;

• How do our customers search for items; do you manually look through the sections and subsections or use the search bar function?
  • Do the categories require expanding. Parts split up and put into smaller more focused categories.
  • What parts do you think are missing that require adding (that we stock/offer)
  • Any suggestion or feedback welcomed.

Regards

Patrick & Jason

I've always found the search to be a bit 'clumsy' to use.

For example searching for 'brakes' brings up 9 items, 7 of which are wheels and tyres.

Searching for 'brake' brings up lots more brake related items.

Searching for 'windscreen' you would expect the windscreens and windscreen kits to be top of the results but they're not, they're well down the list.

Hope that makes sense.

The only other niggle for me (but your probably already aware of this)

Is the parts that say 5-6 week lead times, but when you call up they are sat on the shelf. For example item 6313017/6435006 bonnet fitting kit. For the past 2 years this has shown 5-6 week lead. Yet on the 3 occasions I've rung up they've been in stock and I've bought them there and then. But how many people see the lead time and then say sod that and go elsewhere without phoning? 

• Like 5

Regular service items, possibly with engine specific kits, too. Nothing complicated, just the right fluids filters etc for a Zetec, Ecoboost or whatever, then things like the brake pad sets for the various calipers used on Westfields.

All low margin things for sure, but they’re the staples that help keep existing owners coming back to look at the web store, where you then get the opportunity to sell us other accessories.

Great to see things like the fastener packs too, so like I did, over the phone, owners doing rebuilds etc could just order a front or rear suspension bolt pack etc.

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but certainly once upon a time, there used to be lots of different little brackets, covers, trim bits etc that would be routinely used on factory builds, sat in the parts store, that very few home builders knew existed,  so wouldn’t think to ring up and ask about them! Again, anything like that, if there’s still stuff around.

As Steve said, the search engine can be very hit and miss, I do use it. But I also like to just browse by section, typically when looking for the things I didn’t know I needed!

• Like 3

@Steve (sdh2903) @Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary thank you for the feedback. I'll look into the search function today. From what I have read so far the java requires altering. I've contact our support who will assist.

I'll look into making a new section for the fitting kits for those who require replacements.

As always greatly appreciate the feedback. 

I like the new stripe kit, shame it's FW nose only. Mind you, then there's other colours... 

On a more general thought, the basket area doesn't half look like a search box, plus it's where you do quite commonly find the search function on web pages. I can't tell you the number of times I've tried to type a search term into it! Even just loosing the text box around it would probably help!

It would be good to have a downloadable pdf fitting sheet/extract of build manual against each item? and also what additional tools you may need to fit that specific item

• Like 2

You have to drill down through bodywork, to get to wheels and tyres, sort of logical, but a bit buried for something that’s can be needed as a service item!

Still too many generic file photos, which then means if you don’t know what the part should look like, you don’t necessarily realise you’re looking at the wrong thing!

For instance, having lived with the spare car and a full tonneau cover, I’d quite like one for the FW, BUT I’d want one that zipped down the middle, so the passenger side could be left in place while driving. Unfortunately, the photo is a stock picture of a ZK tonneau, so tells me nothing! (I’d also want to know details such as, does it come with fasteners pre-fitted, as unlike a local member who had one factory fitted, I wouldn’t want it fitted to the rear tub with press studs, it would need to use the same Tenax fasteners as the hood uses - I’m not having two lines of different fasteners back there!)

Which is a long winded way of saying owners use the parts shop for research, too. If the detail isn’t there, some will phone or email, true, but many will look elsewhere for the information, which means they’ve left the site without making a sale, and if they find the product somewhere else, that does have the info, they/we will often just hit the buy now button on that site, instead, as it’s easier than coming back to the WSC Ltd site.

• Like 2

Credit where it’s due, having just had a good though by no means complete look, it’s massively better than it was, and I can see many of those incidental parts in there too, now!

There are a few bits that I would say were missing still, Aerorace radiator duct, I can’t see, nor the intercooler/radiator duct as used on the ST3/Sport 250, both of which are very worthwhile upgrades for NA and forced induction conversions, respectively.

• Like 1

Oh, and while I remember, where are all the model specific badges/stickers that we see on some of the factory cars? I see loads of factory cars with the Mega S2000 sticker, for instance. Something I never remember to ask about when I’m there in person, but could well impulse buy while online looking for something else!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Credit where it’s due, having just had a good though by no means complete look, it’s massively better than it was, and I can see many of those incidental parts in there too, now!

I agree. 

Infact the whole experience of buying parts from the factory whether it be via private message on here, Online or over the phone is so much better now than it was,  even in just the 2/3 years I've been buying westie bits. 

It's great that Jason and patrick are even asking for feedback. Something I've not seen before. Well done chaps.

• Like 5

I would concur with the above points and add that on some items the images are not very clear and also multiple views would help with identification against fitted parts.  OEM part numbers or suppliers part numbers could help to within the notes sections.

As a further support tool, any original spares that are no longer stocked could be listed with alternative suppliers (if known) to aid those that purchase 2nd hand/don't build their own?

• Like 2

How about some 'interactive' images of a Westfield and/or close up parts. For example a picture of the whole car, you click on 'bonnet' and it takes you to the bodywork/bonnet section or a close up of the front suspension,  click on 'wishbone' and it goes to the suspension/wishbone section or just to the 'suspension' section.

• Like 1

Some more of the SDV specific parts would be nice to see too.

For example the Mazda SDV front upper wishbones are on the web shop but not the front lowers, or any of the three rears and the rear lower camber adjusters. 

Front upper ballpoints are also shown but not the lowers and then there's also the extension loom for the wiper motor.

I notice the manifolds for the 1800 engine are also showing but not the 1600, or have these now been discontinued with the other SDV upgrade parts?

Does the web-shop also have a facility to show current stock levels against parts?

• Like 1

As has been mentioned before, some more relevant information in the parts description would be helpful.

By way of an example, I was looking for arch protectors for the FW.  I found the standard and the extra wide arch version; the extra wide stated 40mm wider than the standard, however there was no baseline dimension on the standard so still none the wiser and I wasn't able to order.  Thankfully a conversation at the kit car show sorted it and they are now fitted!!