Is a Mondeo a good idea ?

nice_guy

Her indoors has just got an 18 plate 1L 100 ps focus... it certainly goes ok. Easy to be doing 80 without realising smooth and quiet. 

But frankly its **** when it comes to hills feels kinda gruntless. So those times when your on an a road and you get the small section of overtake space unless your ready it just can’t do it 

might just be me used to the Z4 deffo have to change gear a lot more in the focus which i think is the secret to it.

faultless in other respects. A little detached to its feel but on a motorway just. Wafts along

8 minutes ago, dombanks said:

have to change gear a lot more in the focus which i think is the secret to it.

Might be a way to get it to be fun. Shift it like a two stroke motorcycle !

5 hours ago, dombanks said:

Her indoors has just got an 18 plate 1L 100 ps focus... it certainly goes ok. Easy to be doing 80 without realising smooth and quiet. 

But frankly its **** when it comes to hills feels kinda gruntless. So those times when your on an a road and you get the small section of overtake space unless your ready it just can’t do it 

might just be me used to the Z4 deffo have to change gear a lot more in the focus which i think is the secret to it.

faultless in other respects. A little detached to its feel but on a motorway just. Wafts along

The 100PS doesn't have the overboost that the 125 does- makes a big difference on hills

28 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

The 100PS doesn't have the overboost that the 125 does- makes a big difference on hills

I guess the overboost is limited in duration, but is it implemented in a sweet pressure swell when reaching max pedal travel ? (I suddenly dream of a pedal travel end switch that could be wired to the gear lever)

You know...

image.png.6092b649764b3fc3474047db10e7ec69.png

My RAC man says melted pistons and/or failed head gaskets.

And notwithstanding the comments about listening to one random guy on the internet, top hit on Google was this:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/104803/ford-10-litre-ecoboost-engine-failures-company-pledges-to-pay-for-all-repairs

Both melted pistons and failed head gaskets could be related to the overheating issue. Reports suggest that 96% of cars have been fixed. But how close did they get to failure prior to the fix is surely the next sensible question.

It seems the eco-boost engine is being called the eco-boom engine in some quarters...

6 hours ago, Blatman said:

Both melted pistons and failed head gaskets could be related to the overheating issue. Reports suggest that 96% of cars have been fixed. But how close did they get to failure prior to the fix is surely the next sensible question.

On a narrow model year range, a coolant hose could leak, and some of those resulted in engine overheat. Unfortunately some of the recall notices were ignored, and then customers (not always aware of the missed service action) faced large repair bills. Eventually, Ford agreed to pay all costs, but the fallout is as you've quoted. 

Please consider the effect you might have on people whose livelihood depends on the auto industry. Spreading rumours and hearsay can be hurtful. 

Thanks. 

On 16/09/2019 at 07:03, Kit Car Electronics said:

Please consider the effect you might have on people whose livelihood depends on the auto industry. Spreading rumours and hearsay can be hurtful. 

Thanks. 

I'm not passing judgement. My mate offered his opinion in good faith and I shared in a likewise manner. That opinion was challenged and I dug deeper to find that rather than a single voice on the internet there were legitimate and respected reports of eco-boost failures and Ford's response to them. I shared the link so that a fuller set of facts was brought to the attention of those reading this thread. 

If you feel that I am still spreading hearsay or rumours then please report these comments to the moderators for their considered opinion.