Is a Mondeo a good idea ?

nice_guy

I'm considering replacing my old nail of a daily by something more modern. With creature comforts like bluetooth, or electric starter.

My better half has been quite vocal about a current mondeo (the one with the astonesque front grille, 2014 onwards I believe)

Hence I'm considering a 1.5 ecoboost mondeo, manual, and was wondering about the maintenance / fuel / running costs / expensive failure lurking around the corner. I have found very llittle meaningful content online, wondering if someone around here has any opinion on this car ?

(target is very unspirited drive, cruise control on dual carriage, silent and plush ride, and an inexpensive experience)

Thanks !

I think they are excellent value for money

3 hours ago, nice_guy said:

With creature comforts like bluetooth, or electric starter.

If an electric starter is a creature comfort, I’d say changing your current car that uses a crank handle to start it is long overdue. 😦

• Haha 4

Yes I've had a 2013 Mondeo Titanium estate from new, mine is the 2.0ltr duratorq 165bhp diesel i think it is brilliant for what i want it for, general running about and towing my caravan, it's got loads of toys, sat nav, cruise, bluetooth, heated and cooled seats, very comfy and quiet, being an estate it's very long almost like a hearse it can carry loads of stuff with ease.

After 6 years of ownership i have no plans to get rid of it, it gets regular servicing, i've just replaced the rear pads after 40,000 miles.

This weekend i did a round trip of just short of 400 miles to Stevenage and back, mostly motorway at the speed limit and got over 50mpg, i also get just over 30mpg towing my van.

IMG_0874.JPG

2 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

If an electric starter is a creature comfort, I’d say changing your current car that uses a crank handle to start it is long overdue. 😦

I may have overstated a tad the features of my jurassic ride... 

1 hour ago, Paul Hurdsfield said:

i've just replaced the rear pads after 40,000 miles.

Unacceptable.

(come to think of it, I can't remember having replaced pads during this century)

Thanks a lot for your feedback !

They also drive really really well. A much better chassis than some of it's much more expensive german rivals.

Had a Mondeo Estate for 6 years , Great cars but not as good as the Skoda Octavia estate I run now ( IMO )  better all round , ride handling comfort economy .

i have an titanium x sport 2012 which would be the same shape as Paul cant really comment on the mk5 but i suspect a lot of the bits are carried over. Lots of toys as he said on the high spec ones and my guy ticked some nice options from new :yes:  

i have had a drop link and a rear bush in 3 years , cost me apx 200 to fix.

Mine is currently on 110k bought at 85k 

My expeirence has been so positive I will probably buy a mk5  st-line in couple of years 

• Like 1

i just picked up a cheap mondeo estate 2008 2.0 tdci for my daily and tow barge. i purchsed it knowing there were a few problems but it had a full mot. all ive changed is the anti roll bar drop links all the way around cost me 60 quid and i changed the cambelt and waterpump as a matter of course the kit was 100 quid and pretty easy to fit . its pretty good on fuel considering i only do 12 miles a day in traffic it says tis averaging 42mpg. the parts are pretty cheap for them also. mine looks poo from outside but inside its spotless and even the basic zetec model that i have has heated front and rear screen climate control. and a very warm heater from the moment you start the car. and there isnt anything i cant get in it

I love my Honda Civic Tourer. 

Smaller physically on the outside than a Mondeo but has a larger boot space (both with seats up and flat) - it’s cavernous. 

Fuel consumption is brilliant. See below for town driving (50’s) and motorway (60’s) - even does near 40mpg when towing the Westy!

E419DB37-0F2E-46CC-A349-1977BB0599A6.jpeg

• Like 2

I have had a 1996 Mondeo Estate which went to about 230,000 miles before being written off in a pub car park, and a 2002 TDDi Ghia Estate that my daughter has and neglects. That has >110,000 miles and has only cost a fuel lift pump and a clutch. I have a Mk3 in a party frock otherwise called a 2007 Jaguar X-Type 2.2D manual and that had a broken road spring over and above service items up until the auto-levelling headlights (HID) looked down like a Victorian virgin. I'm still working on that problem! The car, not the virgin...

They are greatly under valued IMHO, and I'd have another with no hesitation.

Thanks a lot for all your input !

Wife set her views on the current model because of the looks, but from what Info I have gathered mechanicals are merely an evolution of previous models, so it's rather a good sign.

I've set my grasp on fords because I believe the ecoboost family is probably / to me the best downsized petrol engine from a mechanical standpoint (reliability, fuel efficiency).

I do not care about the badge at all, and it physically hurts me to put any sort of money in the daily, so I rather value bombproof mechanical over gadget density.

A previous gen focus (3 pot 1l ecoboost) is also on my list, (on top of it tbh)  either hatch or estate, but hey, wife prefers the aircraft carrier aston-mouthed  mondeo.

The legnthy saloon is not that common second hand (and used it will be) with the petrol ecoboost and info regarding reliability is pretty scarce, but it's not such a big price hike from a facelifted petrol focus to a facelifted petrol mondeo... (all things considered, including one full meter of car, WAF and ability to carry)

Some things I consider aside of loooooow running and acquisition costs are supple ride and quiet cabin... and a mechanical gearbox.

So I'm hovering over the classified for Focus III (either Voldemort or facelift) or current mondeo, with wheezy petrol powerplant.

I'll probably postpone purchase until current old rusty nail gives up the ghost, partly to maximise depreciation , partly because I'm very reluctant to shell out any money.

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

I love my Honda Civic Tourer. 

Smaller physically on the outside than a Mondeo but has a larger boot space (both with seats up and flat) - it’s cavernous. 

Fuel consumption is brilliant. See below for town driving (50’s) and motorway (60’s) - even does near 40mpg when towing the Westy!

E419DB37-0F2E-46CC-A349-1977BB0599A6.jpeg

It didnt come with a duster though Chris?

😄

• Haha 5