Blyton on Sunday (4th August)

TAFKARM

3 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Full report coming soon...

Its taking too long.. I think you're concocting some elaborate story to cover the facts!

You've killed Lionel!

😭

A bit apprehensive and a sleepless night before the day - I was a Billy no mates on this one, in an untested car I’d had off eBay for £430. 

10C70AAD-0963-4464-970B-12362D11F4EA.thumb.jpeg.7c6e1141888ab0a7abaeecbc860d46cb.jpeg

Prior to the day id swapped the brake caliper and put lowered springs on (both included in sale). I also replaced the shredded alternator / water pump belt, put a battery on it and partially stripped it. When I did the springs it was clear the shocks had seen better days, 3/4 didn’t rebound at all when compressed, but in the spirit of budget I left them on anyway (mistake!) Brake fluid was changed for some superblue I had kicking around, but brake pads came on the car. Put some ten year old tyres on that came with some wheels I bought from @Rednop1

The car had sat on a farm for 2 years by the way (and smelt like it)

Got to the track nice and early, quickly made friends with the guys next door and exchanged oil for a go pro mount that I’d forgotten.

Sighting laps went ok, engine seemed strong. Did a 10 min session and all was mostly well - through the fast left handers the knackered shocks made the loaded front wheel bounce and skip all over the place to the point i thought it was going to fall off. Had to really fight the wheel to stay on line. 

5 mins into session two, flat out through port froid (85 in Lionel), a huge bang, followed by an instant spin and a brown interior. The alternator belt had let go (the tensioner had been rusty) and took out a radiator hose depositing water (clever see - water rather than coolant to minimise track clean up!) over the back wheels. 

Dejected, towed off the circuit at 1045 and the day was over for me. I called @syman84 to give him the bad news.

”You can fix this, you absolute legend! I believe in you! You’re the best!” He said. The alternator belt was a pig of a job first time round, but I figured I could probably do it trackside in 1.5 - 2 hours if I had the parts. (I had a huge array of tools with me). So off I went to Halfords in Gainsborough who stared blankly when I said I needed a 4PK885 and ANY 90 degree bend hose (sorry we don’t have any Mk1 mx5 parts etc).

They suggested I try a motor factor close by, I headed in with hope in my heart. alas they had no hoses, they did have a selection of belts (even let me go out back to look) but nothing I could use - not even a 6PK i could cut down. 

so so I tried, I failed, the day was a complete disaster. 

Or was it......

to be continued

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

Did a 10 min session and all was mostly well - through the fast left handers the knackered shocks made the loaded front wheel bounce and skip all over the place to the point i thought it was going to fall off. Had to really fight the wheel to stay on line. 

Looking forward to the video. 😉

• Haha 1

As I wiped away the tears (metaphorical) in a lonely car park (not a metaphor) in Gainsborough I had a quick look on google. - sort by motor factor open on Sunday. Found one in Lincoln about 35 mins away. Called them - they had the belt but not the hose. I headed over to get it. 

Belt collected, I sat in another car park and ate the pack up my wife had made me 😄 which was good because the card machine was out of action at Blyton and I never have cash because it’s 2019. 

Got it back to the track at 1325 - now to change the alternator belt (2 hours remember) you need to get at it from underneath and it’s a massive pain. I asked ‘next door’ if I could borrow some stands. We had a chat and he suggested I try it from above, just in case. I did and it worked! Because I’d had the killer bolt off last week it was easy! 

Now to bodge the coolant hose - @BCF suggested I take the Westfield hoses with me while it’s got no engine in. Good lad, voila!

AD2F136D-751C-44AA-B5D4-ADC3E5B84241.thumb.jpeg.e590c95fd5c588bbb80b74c9f3f79744.jpeg

Up and running for 1410! Enjoyed the rest of the day, although it was very hot and Lionel had a slight issue that it was starting to get a tad warm after 3 or 4 laps. 

B37EC818-870C-4100-A57F-B5270AB19769.jpeg.909bfc6235a5ef2de86843d172621c05.jpeg

1645 I decided to call it a day, borrowed a compression tester from next door and got 140 100 100 140, so looks like head gasket failure between 2 and 3. 

Ill stick some K Seal in and see what happens on the next one....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meatibald Archpants said:

The side to side movement of the gear stick in the corners indicates transmission is moving a lot....of is it a built in roll indicator?

• Like 2

Ace to see you getting stuck in despite the issues 👍 Hope the gasket fix works!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...