Swept or cycle ?

Dicky 1105

6 hours ago, Captain Colonial said:

Your check is in the post mate :t-up: 🤣

Fixed that for you - you forgotten how to mis-spell our language? 😁

31 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Fixed that for you - you forgotten how to mis-spell our language? 😁

Itz teh wonke spill chicken on thes sight ewe r supposet 2 bee in charg of maintining.  Or r ewe buzy enstalin a nu clutch? 😝

• Haha 1

Nobody yet mentioned the flared wings advantage of reduced unsprung weight over cycle wings ???

Has anyone had a go at fitting swept to an FW bonnet. Just asking.

@Dicky 1105

My car started off with swept wings

P1020179.thumb.JPG.1bbbc37f99656eca352a34ff8bb729dc.JPG

But they were a bit tatty and had several star cracks and other defects so I swapped them for cycle wings

P1030871.thumb.JPG.8e5ccda120b0e7a47aeedd25c9022d4a.JPG

However, as you may be able to see in the photo that left a load of holes that needed to be filled in. What you can't see in the photo is that where the bolts and large washers had been clamping the wings to the body for over 20 years the fibreglass had deformed so that each hole was sitting in its own little dip. I filled the holes and dips with resin and gelcoat but I didn't do a good enough job of it really so in the end I covered them all up with some sidestripes.

So just a word of caution if you end up doing this and your swept wings have been on the car for a long time as you may have more bodywork repairs to do than just filling the bolt holes. Make sure you give yourself a lot of time to do the job as I probably rushed it as I was time-constrained having a young family at the time. 

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has mentioned it but you may also need to fit lock stops to stop the cycle wings hitting the sides of the tub on full lock.

• Thanks 1

following on from Ians post, you get a much tighter turning circle with swept wings...