Suspension upgrade

b16gnr

hi, i am looking to upgrade my standard suspension to the protech ones looking on kit car direct they give options on either 1.9 or 2.25 id with various open lengths, spring length or 7",8",9" or 10"

could somebody tell me apart from the obvious length difference what is the reason for the differences?

taking that into account can someone recommend what would be best for fast road use?

the next thing is bonded or adjustable bushes? and finally top and bottom bush size

its all confusing for a mere amateur such as me! 

thanks  

6 minutes ago, AndrewBClarke said:

Try reading:

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/134849-damper-lengths/?tab=comments#comment-1426987

In my experience Protech and Plays Cool are both very approachable and will help. 

We are all mere amateurs at some point. I still am :) 

Thanks Andrew, i have read that and it sort of makes sense!

im happy with the ride height etc, i am just trying to improve the handling by upgrading the shocks and springs, so i guess my question would be which size do i need?

8 minutes ago, b16gnr said:

my question would be which size do i need?

I think what others have meant is rather than using kit car direct talk to Protech or Plays Cool direct who understand Westfields and can provide the correct guidance.

I'd also add the Westfield also sell ProTech shocks (I had mine from them) as to ProComp who do ProTech shocks specifically ballanced and set up for Westfields.

Had I not allready upgraded to Protech shocks I'd have given the Westfield specific shocks that DamperMan supplies serious consideration especially as I've now fitted the progress rate springs he supplies to the rears.

I can supply correctly setup and fitting dampers so you don’t need to worry about lengths etc. I can also supply matching springs so no need to worry about lengths or rates either.       For road use use rubber bushing in dampers, spherical has marginal perceived gains only for track. 

Thats your normal use of car, you say road but do you do the classic Le Man 2x 18stone up and with tent with 104 cans of lager..  or is is usually one up/ 2 

I’ll pm you prices

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DamperMan said:

I can supply correctly setup and fitting dampers so you don’t need to worry about lengths etc. I can also supply matching springs so no need to worry about lengths or rates either.       For road use use rubber bushing in dampers, spherical has marginal perceived gains only for track. 

Thats your normal use of car, you say road but do you do the classic Le Man 2x 18stone up and with tent with 104 cans of lager..  or is is usually one up/ 2 

I’ll pm you prices

Thanks that will be great

Our range of dampers and springs are fully bespoke and designed set up specifically for Westfields. We have experts on site who have developed the cars and build them day in day out. If you ever need assistance, please feel free to contact us. Always happy to help.

5 hours ago, Westfield Parts Dept said:

Our range of dampers and springs are fully bespoke and designed set up specifically for Westfields. We have experts on site who have developed the cars and build them day in day out. If you ever need assistance, please feel free to contact us. Always happy to help.

So you strip them down,change the oil and alter the valving,then dyno them so they are in matched pairs?

If not and they are coming direct from Protech they aren't set up for lightweight cars,and not matched in pairs.

• Like 1

thanks for your helpful advice everybody, i have decided to go and try the SPAX ones

regards

Wayne

• Like 2

At point of selecting damper to suit Westfield models our design and manufacturing team discussed the exact requirements and needs with suppliers in great length. The result is the dampers we proudly offer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Westfield Parts Dept said:

At point of selecting damper to suit Westfield models our design and manufacturing team discussed the exact requirements and needs with suppliers in great length. The result is the dampers we proudly offer.

They are just off the shelf protechs I would say,same as supplied to all dealers. 

Take a pair and get them on a dyno and see how they compare to each other :)

He is right though. I bought a pair of pro techs direct from pro tech as a 'matched' pair. They were no where near matched when they went on the dyno at procomp. On a lightweight car it really is noticeable and they felt crap. Felt like a complete new pair once matt had sorted them out. Protech do not dyno their shocks at their factory.  So if your buying them in from protech they wont be valved or dyno matched to suit our cars.

If buying protechs get them from matt at procomp, he orders specific valving and dynos them before shipping.

I've gone for spax from @DamperMan this time looking forward to trying them in anger. Tony's customer service is second to none too.

• Like 4