Nik

Indicators on steering column?

Nik

I find the silly left and right toggle switch really irritating, and forget to cancel it much of the time. Is there an alternative column, or modification, that will allow a nice set of indicator stalks to be mounted on it? If so, is it easy to do?

• Like 1

Kevin (Mr T)

Have a look at the blinkstop on@Kit Car Electronics website

Weekend Warrior

33 minutes ago, Kevin (Mr T) said:

Have a look at the blinkstop on@Kit Car Electronics website

Or go one better and get the freewheel system , Indicators , horn , lights all at your fingertips . 

My favourite upgrade 👍

I was always leaving the indicators on and found it a bit awkward trying to sound the horn or flash the lights . It never felt right  before now it’s a doddle .

3F8A93E3-CBD2-4055-ACB3-6E272043A032.png

• Like 2

Rory's Dad

And I use one of their long toggle switches on the right hand side. I can steer, change gear and indicate all at once! 

DamperMan

When making a new dash panel i fitted a  Mini/ Landrover indicator, dip, horn and flash which I extended the steering column to attach.    The up side I no longer needed half the rubbish toggle switched on the dash.  The down side is I have not yet got around to making a cover, so thinking  it might rain I placed a flower pot! over it... Its still on!...             

• Haha 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Just bear in mind that most aftermarket column switches are just, effectively, longer versions of the toggle switch you have on the dashboard currently, with headlamp control added. Don't assume, just 'cause they look like regular car stalks that they will self cancel like a normal car would.

Self cancelling on a traditional stalk switch requires a comparable steering wheel boss which has notches or pins to operate cancel switches within the stalk assembly. People have successfully adapted switches and triggers from production cars for Westfields use over the years though.

Aftermarket self cancelling switches more often use some kind of timer to control how long the indicators flash for. Of these, the FreeWHEEL, BlinkSTOP units are superb.

I've just come back from 1500 miles/a weeks touring with a car fitted with the old Westfield supplied self cancelling indicators and while better than nothing, it's not a patch on @Kit Car Electronics FreeWHEEL or BlinkSTOP products.

• Like 2

AdgeC

+1 for Blinkstop. Works a treat for me.

Barnsley John

blinkstop for me

acafrao

Freewheel one of the best upgrades I have ever done! 

It shall also be note that not only the kit is great but they offer great support with quick replies to any doubts. :)

Instead of losing time with another solution and in a few years feeling forced to change to freewheel as it is the most sensible choice I would advised to do it now.

Below there is an image of my recently upgraded wheel with the freewheel!

2779CF3A-F67B-4DD6-B99B-C754037DD81B.jpeg

• Like 5

NigelO

I've only had my Westie a year and having to use the toggle switches also irritated me. I took the sage advice of this forum and bought a FreeWheel set up.

I had a lot of hassle making it work, but this was all down to the state of the wiring on the car, and nothing to do with the FreeWheel kit (in fact Mike at Kit Car Electronics helped me out hugely with getting everything to work properly)

I'm pretty happy with the result

Steering_Wheel.thumb.jpg.205454b8e73065a4be911b07753f94db.jpg

• Like 2

Rory's Dad

Is that photo taken in your BATHROOM?  :o

• Haha 1

NigelO
1 hour ago, Rory's Dad said:

Is that photo taken in your BATHROOM?  :o

Of course - why not?

Its the kitchen, actually.....

Nik

Really great advice guys, thank you. Guess i need to start saving for the freewheel kit!

• Like 1