More power, or new friends....?

MattV

After a cracking day out with @Weekend Warrior and @si_salisbury up to SkegVegas and then a play over the Wolds of Lincolnshire, I’ve come to the conclusion I need more power. 

Alternatively, I’m going to need new friends. 

Anybody got a turbo kit for a Zetec going free??

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Is a remap or getting it chipped an option, I've just had my TTS remapped and gained 50hp and a load of torque, now running 325hp and over 300 torques, seems to be the cheapest and easiest way.

Thanks for the suggestion @litcoat, but I fear you’re part of the problem too 😄!

Managing to gain 50bhp from a remap would suggest you already had plenty to start with....!

Alas, I fear my poor 1.8 zetec is already at the point where extra is going to be big money (rolling road shows 150bhp). Anything further is going to involve internals and a cheque book!

I’ll just have to sneak round to @si_salisbury and @Weekend Warrior in the middle of the night and superglue a bung under the accelerator pedals!

• Haha 1

I know, I'm always the same,, when you first get your new toy it's great, few months later and you get used to things you want more power and speed, that's why I went for the remap and had the speed limiter switched off. Goes up and over 165 mph now(not on the public highway)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MattV said:

After a cracking day out with @Weekend Warrior and @si_salisbury up to SkegVegas and then a play over the Wolds of Lincolnshire, I’ve come to the conclusion I need more power. 

@MattV if you find new friends you will half my friends list, I will adjust the throttle stop on my pedal. 😂

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, MattV said:

Funny you should say that I’ve been thinking about sticking a turbo on too 😁

Thanks ,both of you,for a great day out ,after we parted I stayed out for a couple of hrs just making it back before the rain . 

Keep in touch 👍

Steve - I’m already about 100 horsepower down on you, you can’t add any more yet!

Those straight bits you just disappeared!!!!

I bought my Zetec-powered Westie as an antidote to chasing power. I took my last car from 220bhp as standard to just shy of 500bhp. It was great fun, but I found myself having to travel extremely quickly to get a buzz out of it.

I now have about a third of the power, and about a third of the weight - the difference is that I don't need to be doing 150+ to feel like I'm going quickly

Anyway, straights are only there to join the corners up and you don't need power for corners...

• Like 6

I have had a joke with my work mates about fitting Nos to mine, I haven’t seen or heard about a Westfield with nos.

:db-westy:🔥☠️

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, si_salisbury said:

I have had a joke with my work mates about fitting Nos to mine, I haven’t seen or heard about a Westfield with nos.

:db-westy:🔥☠️

I had it on my first Westfield. 

Its very true that there is no substitute for outright power, but don't forget the original ethos of the 7 type car, where adding lightness does add power, and a well set up car with optimum dampers, springs, geometry settings and correct rubber can and does make a difference?

Engine tuning can get very expensive very quickly and the tuners talk in thousands, not hundreds....

Corner weighting and geometry set up (at a competant, proven source), could be a much cheaper alternative?

There must be an optimum power figure for a well set up car where any more power available isn't really that useable unless on a fast circuit?

I remember years ago watching one of the Gwynne sons at a Castle Coombe rally day giving passenger rides around the circuit in a Nova IIRC , and blasting past Skylines that had 3 times the power.....

Grenade thrown........Ill wait for the bang lol....

Mart.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mighty Mart said:

Its very true that there is no substitute for outright power, but don't forget the original ethos of the 7 type car, where adding lightness does add power, and a well set up car with optimum dampers, springs, geometry settings and correct rubber can and does make a difference?

Engine tuning can get very expensive very quickly and the tuners talk in thousands, not hundreds....

Corner weighting and geometry set up (at a competant, proven source), could be a much cheaper alternative?

There must be an optimum power figure for a well set up car where any more power available isn't really that useable unless on a fast circuit?

I remember years ago watching one of the Gwynne sons at a Castle Coombe rally day giving passenger rides around the circuit in a Nova IIRC , and blasting past Skylines that had 3 times the power.....

Grenade thrown........Ill wait for the bang lol....

Mart.

I'd agree with that! Power is expensive, doesn't really make you faster around most circuits (beyond 250ish) and can make the car less usable. It is bl**** hilarious though, so there is that.

4 hours ago, Stu Faulkner said:

I had it on my first Westfield. 

How did it drive? Did you have it fitted or was it already on.

the only thing that I worry about it I had Nos is the pistons melting and fusing to the wall of the cylinder.

I fitted it and installed it as a 25bhp kit. 

The beauty of it is that I gives an additional 25bhp at any revs so the pickup is impressive. 

I upped it to a 50bhp kit and ran fine until it forced the rings into the bores and sized the engine. 

This appears to be the main problem with Nos. 

Before the engine issue, oh it was fast.