Advice on what type of car to go for

Burgerbob

First post - hello to you all!  

I'm new to Westfields and would be grateful for some advice of what sort of car would suit me best.

I've always fancied a seven type car, and after being accused by my better half of having a mid-life crisis when I bought a hot hatch a couple of years ago, I'm thinking it may be time to make her happy and scratch that itch.  So, my thinking is to trade my current car in for a family estate, free up a little cash (and probably add a bit more) and buy myself a toy to play with. Westfields strike me as a good option, not as pricey as a caterham, but more common than other versions.  Yet there are so many different engines etc I'm a bit lost as to what to look for!

Whilst as a lad living at home I was happy servicing cars and doing basic maintenance such as changing the brakes etc, for the last 20 years or so I've paid someone else to do it.  Hence, I'd like a reliable car, cheap to maintain and not a project!

Realistically, the car won't get a lot of use.  It will be an occasionally weekend toy and may enjoy a couple of track days per year.  I'd prefer one set up for the road that's OK on a track, rather than the other way round.  It doesn't need to be lightening quick, fun to drive is what I'm looking for.

As it'll only be used occasionally, I can't justify spending a fortune, but at the same time, I want to spend enough to get a car that I need to do very little to and one that I have the confidence will work, and work well, each time I take it for a spin. (But I'm not averse to getting a car that I could improve either)

So, how much to spend, what type of engine, what sort of age / mileage.  Buy from a dealer (Toybox is quite close) or privately etc.

Then, once I've figured out what sort of budget / car to go for my next task is to make somewhere to store it!  I don't have a garage hence will be looking at building a carport or similar at home to keep it dry and a little more secure over winter.  Therefore, realistically it will be next year before I'm ready to purchase.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Rob

Go along to a local meet and have a look at some cars.

maybe even get a ride.

thats your best start point

From what you've said I'd say a rough starting point would be a zetec or Vauxhall redtop engine on injection powered car with a windscreen fitted. Widebody if your a bit on the bigger side ;)or if you prefer a bit more room. 

Rather than looking at toybox I'd keep an eye on the for sale section on here. You'll get more car for your money and probably of better quality too.

• Like 1

As you’ve at the start of your journey I’d try and get along to some meets and events so you can look at different cars and talk to their owners, they will generally by open about the pros and cons of their spec. If you keep an eye in the local area meets, .... section you’ll see a variety of events where there may be a collection of cars and owners.

good luck with the hunt

My advice is making them faster is pretty expensive. So get that bit right from the off. :yes::db-westy:

• Like 1

Thanks all for your input.  helpful advice.  First job, which may be a winter project, is to build a garage to keep it dry.  That'll give me time to ponder the sort of car to look for and hopefully pop along to a couple of meets.

I do like the idea of getting the speed be right from the off.  I may not be after the fastest car on the block.  But at the same time, I don't want to be itching for more power from day 1.  But lets face it.  I reckon there are very few people who buy these cars who aren't continuously thinking of the next upgrade! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burgerbob said:

But lets face it.  I reckon there are very few people who buy these cars who aren't continuously thinking of the next upgrade! 

That's pretty much my experience to date!!!  Good luck with decision making and the search for the right car!

:ww: from Essex

These cars do not need masses of power to be huge fun to drive, especially on the road.

The "get along to a meet" is good advice, where are you based?

And as someone whose gone from not knowing how to change the oil to almost finishing an engine swap, they really are good fun to work on too, so don't be worried about that side of things, you get amazing support on here and from your local members.

I would consider spares availability and cost too.  For example I have a Vauxhall redtop, while it is a great engine parts availability is becoming difficult and / or expensive.  Consider the MX5 based cars as parts are readily available and if you want power strapping on a turbo is a well worn path and is very cost effective.

But as above you may need to try a few as even cars which may appear very similar can be very different to drive.  Also as said above power is not everything, look at the overall package.  For example if you intend to use it on track are the cooling system and brakes aligned to the power so that you can do more than a few laps without needing to back off and cool.  Or, do you want a heater and roof so it can be used more often?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/06/2019 at 21:18, Burgerbob said:

Thanks all for your input.  helpful advice.  First job, which may be a winter project, is to build a garage to keep it dry.  That'll give me time to ponder the sort of car to look for and hopefully pop along to a couple of meets.

I do like the idea of getting the speed be right from the off.  I may not be after the fastest car on the block.  But at the same time, I don't want to be itching for more power from day 1.  But lets face it.  I reckon there are very few people who buy these cars who aren't continuously thinking of the next upgrade! 

Here you go. Plenty fast enough and could do both touring and track work.

Looks great too plenty of nice bits on it 

• Like 1

I reckon that would be about perfect!

I was chatting to my neighbour today, and he's up for making a garage between our properties.  This not only cuts back on money but may help with space to as we can share the joining wall.  Bad news, he can't make it till spring.  

So unless the seller is happy storing it till spring.....

If you want to have a sit in Westfields of all types, and talk to owners, there is a trackday next Friday at Blyton Park in Lincolnshire, there will be a large selection of cars there to have a look around. There is also a Sprint event there the same weekend, with some more track oriented machinery if that's your kinda thing.