shrops-paul

15" Tyres for road use

shrops-paul

Sorry, Another tyre query but I cant find the answer in the search results.

I was looking for replacement tyres for my Toyo T1R's. Idealy I think R1R's are the way to go but they are hard to find in my size - 205/50/15.

I think R888R will be unsuitable for may mainly road use? Closest I have found are 195/50/15 in the R1R which is probably no good either.

ANy suggestions on alternatives welcomed :)

thanks.

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

It's the wheel rim sizes that are key, if you're running 8" alloys, then yes it's a problem, but 195's will be fine on 7" and I doubt you'll see much real world difference on the road.

TableLeg

What's the issue with the T1Rs?

You could always look at the Nankang versions of both the road and track day tyres.

NS2R are road/track day tyres.

I think though you're always going to have to compromise as the R1R is no longer produced and was regarded as a good tyre for both road and track.

So you'll either have to accept better dry grip with a track type tyre or better wet weather characteristics of a normal road tyre.

T1Rs are cheap as chips though but if you're looking to change it'll really depend on what you want to gain.

Si.Dalziel

I went for Yokohama AD08R’s 205 rear 195 front.

I haven’t actually driven on them yet but the reviews look good and I’m sure some other Westfield’s are on them.

I got them through eBay for a good price too

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO
36 minutes ago, shrops-paul said:

195/50/15 in the R1R

Fine on 7” rims. 

Steve (sdh2903)
2 minutes ago, TableLeg said:

What's the issue with the T1Rs

Dreadful tyres for westfields Imo.

If its  205 50 15 you need then not much choice. Yokohama do one iirc.

If 195 will fit theres loads of choice. I've gone for some decent normal ish road tyres this time in Michelin pilot sport ps3s. Cheap as chips and will cope better with wet conditions than some of the semi slicks 

BigSkyBrad

I've now got Uniroyal Rainsport-3 in 205/50-15. Competent road tyre, great wet tyre - to me they made sense here in soggy Scotland. Really shoving it through corners shows up their limit, but as a good all-rounder, I'm more than happy. Quick google has them around £60, and plenty of glowing reviews online convinced me to give them a go.

• Like 2

Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

I've got R1Rs 195 on front and 205 on the back, only went 205 on the rear because I couldn't get 4 195s at the time.

CraigHew

you probably can't see/feel/notice the 10mm difference anyway...

• Like 1

shrops-paul

Hmm. Thanks. I'll go mearure the rim width (rather than the fitted tyres) after work.

Regarding T1R's - ive used them happily in the past on my Impreza's and they were always the go-to tyre for that comunity. However ive been advised that they are not as suitable for the westfield by various members.

If I can get away with 195 then Ive heard very good things about the R1R's which is why I was trying to get a set.

R1Rs are a superb tyre for a road use Westfield that see's all weathers, yet still gets "enjoyed". I've yet to find an all rounder that's as good.

Dave (OnliestSmeg) -  Manchester AO

Yep, I had T1Rs the moved to 195 R1Rs on 15*7" rims.

I liked the T1Rs - But R1Rs definitely far better, and I've used them for everything (wet winter drives / tours / track days / sprinting)

If you're a blatting in all weathers person, 195 will aqua plane less than 205 but you probably wouldn't notice any better grip with 205 in dry.

9 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

If you're a blatting in all weathers person, 195 will aqua plane less than 205 but you probably wouldn't notice any better grip with 205 in dry.

Absolutely.

TableLeg
shrops-paul

Ok. Looking at the wheel they are 8” width from rim to rim (the widest part). I guess that means I cant put a 195 width tyre on them?

A6874EBD-4A80-4068-9AAF-4334F96B2DBE.jpeg