New season of Top Gear, new lineup...

Captain Colonial

...approve or disapprove?

Personally, I really enjoyed it.  The team clearly has a good blokish friendship going, just the right amount of laddish banter without the pointless cruelty and Clarkson’s trademark casual racism that they descended into at the end of their TG time and in TGT.

Promising start in my books.

10 minutes ago, Captain Colonial said:

Personally, I really enjoyed it.  The team clearly has a good blokish friendship going, just the right amount of laddish banter without the pointless cruelty and Clarkson’s trademark casual racism that they descended into at the end of their TG time and in TGT.

I agree, seems that the lads have a good relationship and the banter is good. Long may this continue

Liked it. 

A bit childish, but quite funny some of the time. On balance I'm in favour, althuogh I'm not going out of my way to not miss it.

Sadly I can’t stand the comic, and have studiously avoided everything he’s been in since Max and Paddy, so will be giving it a miss. Great to hear it’s looking up for the show though.

Just now, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Sadly I can’t stand the comic, and have studiously avoided everything he’s been in since Max and Paddy, so will be giving it a miss.

I thought the same. Only saw trailers for "Take me out" and didn't like what I saw. But I gave Top Gear a go and he grew on me. 

Harris is always worth a watch and seems to be coming into his own as a presenter, Flintoff is watchable too but sadly I too don't really get Paddy Mcguinness.

Not really made my mind up yet as the episode was not the usual show format being a mini road trip special.  Not too sure how the three will come across in the studio.

I do fear that there isn't a great deal of car knowledge there, Chris Harris apart, and the laddish humour can only carry the other two so far.

Flintoff and McGuinness have been friends for years. I suspect McGuinness is Dad and Flintoff is teenage son and the dynamic last night confirmed that for me. A couple of the metaphors delivered by both were clearly scripted and didn't flow naturally as they did from Clarkson/Hammond/May. BUT... if they get better at it then great. I agree too that laddish behavior will only get them so far. I hope they don't mis-judge their audience.

So far I prefer this lot over Le Blanc and the instantly forgettable... er... other bloke.

Harris is great at the road tests and his presenting is getting better. He'll be the one to claim longevity in the current iteration.

Get rid of Mcguiness,  he’s the most irritating, loud, unfunny, childish, ignorant person I’ve ever seen and heard on TV.  Flintoff fits in well and Harris is surprisingly funny and knowledgable, my favourite since he joined TG.

Watched it last night and enjoyed it. Good trio and some very funny moments!

On 16/06/2019 at 22:02, Captain Colonial said:

Yes, but if there's a slope on the bridge your about to cross, it's good to know first :p

Personally I think a lot of it came from the production team, and was deliberate for ratings, the Argentina number plate fiasco for example.