Golf R owners? [was: Audi S3 / RS3 owners?]

Wobblyprop

For me the driving experience is part of the fun of a car like the Golf R, and the DSG box not only removes a significant element of the driving, it also over complicates it and adds weight and electrickery where it simply isn't required. I have DSG in my daily and it's fine for most things, although I still get very frustrated with it, but for a true drivers car like the Golf R, with that chassis, that engine and that intoxicating handling, the DSG is just out of place.

Modern cars do all have the  electrickery as you say. The answer is simple, you miss your Westfield, better buy another.

• Haha 1

Thanks again for all the replies.

For those still interested - I test drove a Golf R, fully loaded with all the bits on it.  It rode a lot more smoothly than my Fiesta ST, although the adjustment between 'Race' and 'Comfort' was quite subtle.  Did it go faster?  Well, yes and no - once it wound itself up it certainly accelerated much faster, but it didn't respond absolutely immediately.  I guess this is s DSG thing?  It reminded me a lot of American Mustangs I used to drive - lots of go, but only after a very small but noticeable delay.  I didn't like that aspect.

While overall I liked the Golf R, I was perfectly happy to get back in my ST - so much more direct in handling and throttle response -  so I'll put up with that bumpy ride.

Not what I was expecting to conclude, but at least it's cheaper!  The Golf is sophisticated and I can clearly see why people like them.  But the ST is such a go-kart handler.

I had a Golf R DSG estate and hated it! I came from a Mégane R26 and compared to that it was very very dull to drive.  The ride is absolutely terrible and if you have kids have an extended test drive with them in it, rear passenger feedback was it made them feel sick even on a motorway.  The only way to describe it is really choppy.  Performance off the line was impressive, cornering ability far less so.  Unless you are very brutal or have the skills of Chris Harris all it does is understeer if you get a bit to optimistic with cornering speed.

I seem to be in the minority that do not seem to get the Golf 'thing', it is like some sensible shoes that your Geography teacher would wear.

Golf r and focus St are just so heavy.. even with all the technology there’s no getting away from there shear mass.   The DSG box has its own gravitational pull.   The lighter more nimble sporty  fiesta, Megan, cleo’s just feel more alive even if they do not have the pub torque figures.    

1 hour ago, DamperMan said:

Golf r and focus St are just so heavy.. even with all the technology there’s no getting away from there shear mass.   The DSG box has its own gravitational pull.   The lighter more nimble sporty  fiesta, Megan, cleo’s just feel more alive even if they do not have the pub torque figures.    

Ah possibly the correct person to ask!  Why on earth do they make something like the Golf so damned stiff?  If you hit a bump mid corner it would skip, possibly ok on a track but not useful on a dozy commute to work.

They don’t need to be really but we’ve got what we asked for...  massive heavy wheels so need lots of compression damping to control the undamped mass. Big engines, massive cog filled gearboxes so heavy easy to package struts rather than expensive multi linked suspension.  Total lost of tyre compliance with mega low wide profiles and runflats.   Motoring journalists slate cars for not having as stiff chassis, or being slower than the last model on the ring.  Big power, loads of grip, massive brakes mean big forces so all the bushing is really stiff.    Fat anti roll bars which help with roll  but also take away the comfort and traction merits of independent suspension.  Stiff “sports seats”   Low ride heights meaning to compensate stiff suspension.   Direct mounted racks for precise steering feel......    the list goes on...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The manual box in the Golf R is awful,as well as the clutch being nigh on useless.

Use launch control on a manual and the clutch will slip,then VW wont cover it under warranty because you've used launch control:rolleyes:

The gear shift on the manual is like a gearbox from the 1970's,circa 1 foot from first to second !😁

My m8s DSG Golf R with a intercooler upgrade,hybrid turbo and bigger fuel pump has just done 454bhp.

0-80 timed at just over 6 seconds, it's a mental thing.

You do need to use the paddles if you want instant reaction when you floor a DSG,click it down a gear or two just before you want to overtake etc.

Auto kickdown is w**k and feels like a old Granada