Alternatives to levitation

nice_guy

I spend, these days, quite a bit of time lifting the car.

I'm yet to find a satisfying way to do so.

I considered air jacks, Yoda Jedi powers, evpensive hydraulic devices or even modifying a trolley jack or motorcycle lift.

My main issue is that I need a low profile thingy to get under the car, and lift it a lot to have the wheels in the air. I proceed by putting a hockey puck in the round plate of the (cheap) trolley jack, lift as much as I can, put axle stands where I can, lower the jack and add big wooden spacers before lifting again to reach suitable height.

Things like this :

constands-midlift-s-2.jpg

Or this :

71X95BksLML._SY450_.jpg

may be more suitable to put these wheels in the air... How do you proceed ? Is there a recommended way ?

QuickJack-Lift-Complete-System.png

These always look interesting. From USA originally, now available in UK. Usual disclaimers see here

Inspection pit?

I use a high lift jack four high tech wooden blocks to sit the wheels on If I’m doing anything that doesn’t involve removing the wheels. 

• Like 1

If I want the whole car lifted, I use a pair of ramps. Depending on which end of the car you intend to work on, either drive the front wheels on and jack up and axle stand the rear or visa versa.

I do wonder given the shape of a Westy if you could drive one onto four ramps? ???

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

That relies on it being drivable @Andrew

Very true..  I was thinking routine servicing.. you know.. oil and filter change .. big end bearings etc etc.. 

• Haha 2

You need to be a bit careful of these things as regards to safety.   IIRC for CE approval they should have a 2nd lock.   But many of these Chinese made items don’t.    Ideally a machanical lock , but some have a hydraulic pressure valve in the ram so that if the pump suddenly looses pressure the ram will lock.    But often these valves are missing or don’t work.  ( I know someone who imported these things). I would  make sure you can jam a bar in somewhere!  

Another consideration is the fully closed hight unless you are willing to dig out the floor to accommodate it.     Supporting the car body and allowing the wheels to hang down offers better flexibity to do stuff

to the car. 

7 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

These always look interesting. From USA originally, now available in UK. Usual disclaimers see here

I have a set of those, and they were ace for my cobra.

Havent used them with the westy as I havent found 2 parallel chassis rails to use as lifting points

7 hours ago, Archibald Meatpants said:

I use a high lift jack 

Interesting. Any picture ? (like the offroady thing that grabs the rim ?)

(my inexpensive hydraulic jack doesn't go as far up as I want to clear the baja suspension travel the westie has)

9 hours ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

Would love to, as they are low profile, but may be a concern regarding lifting points placement.. (and are also dreadfully expensive)

5 hours ago, DamperMan said:

You need to be a bit careful of these things as regards to safety.   IIRC for CE approval they should have a 2nd lock.

Absolutely, both the bike lifts I've embedded satisfy this : the hydraulic wheeeled contraption has two ratchetty things on each side, and the red with a handle (that can be replaced with an electric drill and a suitable socket) is fully mechanical. Both are rated for half a ton. These two were my first attempt at finding something cheap, and low profile, and that can get to a suitable height (i.e wheels off the ground) without adding stands, retracting, add a wood block and lift again.

And if I may add a bonus, they go UP, non in an arc.

Links https://www.motea.com/en/motorcycle-lift-for-chopper-constands-lift-xl-up-to-500-kg-114968-0

https://www.motea.com/en/mini-motorcycle-lift-for-cruiser-and-chopper-constands-mini-lift-111961-0

(can be found cheaper somewhere else without any doubt)

I do not intend to replace the safety of axle stands while working under the car, just want to get it up in the air, wheels off the ground,  in less than 15 minutes per end.

(I also considered the inspection pit, but do not feel heroic enough to shovel that amount of dirt)

1 hour ago, keirik said:

I have a set of those, and they were ace for my cobra.

Havent used them with the westy as I havent found 2 parallel chassis rails to use as lifting points

I suppose you can't place them slightly out of parallel can you? If you can you might be able to use them on the side rails. The one aspect of these that worries me a bit is the lateral stability. A good shove and they could topple over. Have you any concerns in that regard?

1 minute ago, Man On The Clapham Omnibus said:

I suppose you can't place them slightly out of parallel can you? If you can you might be able to use them on the side rails. The one aspect of these that worries me a bit is the lateral stability. A good shove and they could topple over. Have you any concerns in that regard?

They have to be parallel, hence my quandary.

Stable as anything though. Had my cobra on them for weeks on end, rock solid and with a physical lock bar, so you're safe underneath. 

I reckon on a normal westy you could lift via the floor rails but I have a lowered floor so that's out too

5 minutes ago, keirik said:

They have to be parallel, hence my quandary.

Stable as anything though. Had my cobra on them for weeks on end, rock solid and with a physical lock bar, so you're safe underneath. 

I reckon on a normal westy you could lift via the floor rails but I have a lowered floor so that's out too

Ah I see. I don't have a lowered floor so I might be able to use them. Thanks for the quick reply.

9 minutes ago, mikef said:

I love the description, clearly translated into Chinglish.  😁