Has this ever happened before?

Andy Dawson

My 15 year old daughter fell asleep in the Westy. Really?  How does that even happen?

9FD75498-7530-4381-8AED-6917CA39BA27.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Ha ha, took my 12 year old grandson out for a run just after I got my car on the road. He promptly fell asleep. Amazed me!

Yes it happens! It is always a bit of a shock taking into account the sonority of the westy but is considered normal!

I've fallen asleep on the back of my mates motorbike twice while travelling long distance at night. Bizarrely you stay seated, like a bird sleeping on a branch, but it's freaky for the first 10 secs when you wake up!

Have to say, the number of people I see with 4-point harnesses that are adjusted wrong is very numerous. If that car had crashed, she would have slid under the belt and crammed into the footwell and garotted herself on the lap belt on the way.

Do the lap belt up first, tight to the hip bone, and under the gut if you're portly, then adjust the shoulder belts to take out the slack but not lifting the lap belt. People give 4-points this mythical superiority over 3-points, but if worn incorrectly, can do more harm than good.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I’ve done it myself when riding shotgun in them. There’s something about the noise/vibration that’s soothing, not unlike the effect of that clickety  clack of trains!

However, that picture really made my stomach sink, it’s so frightening!  As Brad said, please, please, please ensure that passengers know how to do the harnesses up properly, it’s not really that intuitive I suppose, and not something that people are used to, especially now everyone is used to self tensioning inertia reals. A badly fitted full harness is probably borderline as dangerous as having no harness at all.

The lap belt must be properly tightened over the bone at the hips, not dragged up on to soft tissue of the stomach, or worse, even higher. Only then do up the shoulder straps, being careful not to pull up the lap belt.

(Sorry for the public service broadcast! Having received seatbelt injuries in a bad crash from a modern inertia/pre-tensioned system that worked and held me in place, the thought of a harness that didn’t work properly is so much worse!)

• Like 2

Becky falls asleep on the way home on most of our trips out!! I can tell because all goes quiet , she thinks the baseball cap and sunglasses disguise it, but then I play the rolling head game 😂 of braking hard and flicking the car around islands. The thing I want to know is how do they wake up as you pull into your road?

• Like 1

Spot on, Dave. Another thing I don’t like the look of is using 4-point harnesses with the older tombstone sport seats, where the shoulder strap pass around the sides of the headrests and touch the outer shoulders of the wearer, instead of through the headrest (slots), where the straps would run nearer the stronger neck muscles and support more of the core of the body. Anyone with slight shoulders would slip past and headbutt the steering wheel.

Sorry Andy, I don’t mean to put a downer on your  lovely post’n’pic.

<Victor Meldrew mode>bl**** teenagers</Victor Meldrew mode>

I agree about the harness though - needs to be so tight across the pelvis that tightening the shoulder straps hardly makes it lift at all

For what its worth, my youngest son had a habit of falling asleep in the most unlikely of vehicles - a fully stripped-out track car that needed earplugs to drive and also on the back of my motorbike. The amazing thing is that the bike was a Buell - 1,200cc of hammering V-twin with race pipes. It was bl**** hilarious when a passing R1 woke him up though - he nearly jumped off...

• Haha 1

PS, great pic though, and fantastic to see you both out and about enjoying it!

11 hours ago, Andy Dawson said:

My 15 year old daughter fell asleep in the Westy. Really?  How does that even happen?

9FD75498-7530-4381-8AED-6917CA39BA27.jpeg

Ha she won’t be using that photo for her social media..     both my boys fall sleep in the car and camper.. I wish the wife would she hangs on, so as to offer helpful driving advise!!!! 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

You're obviously not trying hard enough🤣

My 12 year old nephew was screaming by the side of me when giving him a "ride".. obviously I thought whoops of joy,  so naturally kept the boot in..... the reality was he'd gone a funny colour with dribble all down his face on the verge of puking. I Had to drive home at about 25mph 😁.  

• Haha 6

My 8 year old nephew screams when the throttle bodies really start to roar, and hits me to slow down.

I kinda treat him like a shift light... :-) 

• Haha 6

@andydawson,

Can't believe she let you live after taking that photo, bet you didn't show her... You're a dead man walking 🤣