Re-fill Seight gearbox

Badger56

Badger56

Anyone give me pointers on how to top up / refill my gearbox? Lt77 from a sd1 rover I believe.  Not looked yet but I’m guessing access is an issue ?

cheers

Rusty Nuts

Some info here and here but as you say access in a westy will be tricky unless your body is that of an acrobat, and hoping whoever built it has left some access holes (usually covered by aluminium plates) in the tunnel look in the footwell (don't know much about the LT77) so could be in the passengers side or drivers and may entail removing the tunnel carpet.

I put an access hole with a cover in the side panel of the transmission tunnel to allow easier access, although it still isn't that easy as you have to go head first into the footwell to get the plug out and the filler neck of the new ATF in. Mine is R380 rather than LT77 but the filler is on the driver's side in both cases.

groucher

find yourself a squeezable bottle, and some clear tube.....like a juice bottle that as a pop up drinking spout, remove the part that opens/closes the spout on the top, place the tube over the spout, and make sure the tube is long enough to get the bottle higher than the gearbox filler , ie outside the car.

Place the tube inside the gearbox filler hole, and squeeze in oil.....once the gearbox is full it will slowly drain out the filler hole.

Don't forget to do the filling on a level surface, replace the plug when happy.....job done.

around 1.5 litres if I remember should be enough to fill it.

good luck

regards

scott

marcusb
On 07/06/2019 at 21:30, Labrat said:

I put an access hole with a cover in the side panel of the transmission tunnel to allow easier access,

I did this also :yes: and refitted a small panel with rivnuts for future access, lt77 filler plug was on passenger side on my 1996 seight

i have used a garden pressure sprayer before to fill up my mercedes gearbox . it works a treat with a pipe into the box .plus you can see how much has gone in .

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2019 at 21:07, groucher said:

find yourself a squeezable bottle, and some clear tube.....like a juice bottle that as a pop up drinking spout, remove the part that opens/closes the spout on the top, place the tube over the spout, and make sure the tube is long enough to get the bottle higher than the gearbox filler , ie outside the car.

Place the tube inside the gearbox filler hole, and squeeze in oil.....once the gearbox is full it will slowly drain out the filler hole.

Don't forget to do the filling on a level surface, replace the plug when happy.....job done.

around 1.5 litres if I remember should be enough to fill it.

good luck

regards

scott

Many thanks 

Thanks all , although a bit of conflicting info on which side the filler is 😊