Anglesey Monday Aug 19th.

Andrew

Fairly sure it's no problem :t-up:

Can't make this one now, have to cover staff holidays at work.

5 hours ago, DE04* said:

Can we camp at Anglesea the night before? Never been there before.

Yes, it's a camp over for me. There should be a few others too. :yes:

@Andrew andys mapping went very well. im not sure what hese upto but im hoping to be there. my mini is almpst finished just need some new disks and pads. having trouble with my tow car but i have an alternative so ill speak to andy the weekend and see what he says.

@Meatibald Archpants its not an mx5 is it with seised on rear wishbone bolts?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ben (bunje) said:

@Andrew andys mapping went very well. im not sure what hese upto but im hoping to be there. my mini is almpst finished just need some new disks and pads. having trouble with my tow car but i have an alternative so ill speak to andy the weekend and see what he says.

@Meatibald Archpants its not an mx5 is it with seised on rear wishbone bolts?

No... an mx5 with seized front wishbone bolts!!

(although I haven’t looked At the rears yet!)

21 hours ago, Andrew said:

How did the mapping go? :yes:

Mapping went well, cars ready to go.

Same can’t be said about my work load😭

Cars been out the garage 3 times this year but hopefully get out soon.👍

57 minutes ago, Andy (Sycho) said:

Mapping went well, cars ready to go.

You'll need to find out if the flames are still there? ;)

DSC_3105c.thumb.jpg.da44d16ee0dfb0ecc0add622f2cd37ce.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I cant say I've had a good night sleep, but here goes.. ;)

Weather forecast didn't look bad for Monday, but Sunday night in a tent was looking a bit blowy! It turned out to be not too bad, and I got a half decent night's kip,  .. heard the patter of rain at some point in the darkness, but arose to a cloudy but dry morning.

We got the sighting laps out of the way and just as we prepared for our first session.. it started to rain.. very lightly but definitely rain! 😞 I hurriedly strapped in and headed out hoping I'd get a few laps before the track was too wet for slicks.. and it stopped raining. Yay! The track wasn't even damp. And that was the last of the rain we saw. The remainder of the day was sunny, but with a stiff breeze blowing across the back straight off the sea. :sun:

Having recently had the six speed box rebuilt, I was hoping it would be OK. It was, but after the first session I came in and the gear stick felt horribly loose. I'd had the actual gear lever apart to give it a clean and some fresh grease, .. something was amiss. The bottom of the lever was nearly disengaging from the extension. I was quite pleased the problem was in there rather than in the actual gearbox. Had a bit of an adjustment.. removed some washers between stick and extension, and got it better, but definitely not what you'd call slick. Stuck with it for the day.. Will give it some serious looking at some time. 

Next little niggle.. Coasting in after a good session.. bwooosh! a load of coolant blew out from the expansion tank into the passenger footwell. :down:  I've had this before.. usually if the expansion tank is overfilled.. but I don't remember it being too full this time. Anyway, I let it cool down, replaced some of the lost coolant, and crossed fingers. Next few sessions I was watching the temp gauge.. it seemed to be fairly stable between 80 and 90 and then would suddenly rise over 100. Backing off instantly brought the temp back down. Back to the paddock, checked.. low coolant level ..  added some more water.. back out on track. The temps did much the same again, and again I added more water. Mike Whitty noticed a hissing from the cap at one point, so as I had a spare, I plonked that on. The coolant temp was then stable for the last few sessions.. I was even trying to stay out longer than usual just to prove it was fixed, but thankfully the driver overheated before the engine! Presuming it was just an air lock :yes:

Had some good sessions on track with Mike and Stoney. Unfortunately some of the gopro footage looks a bit foggy. Not sure if some dampness got inside the case, or I've wiped the lens with a grotty rag. There's a couple that seem OK, so will get a couple of vids up soon.

We even got the odd train going now and again. :sun:

93957928_Angytrain1.jpg.b5ac5e773aca75f877d285674aa4ae49.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well I cant say I've had a good night sleep, but here goes.. ;)

Weather forecast didn't look bad for Monday, but Sunday night in a tent was looking a bit blowy! It turned out to be not too bad, and I got a half decent night's kip,  .. heard the patter of rain at some point in the darkness, but arose to a cloudy but dry morning.

We got the sighting laps out of the way and just as we prepared for our first session.. it started to rain.. very lightly but definitely rain! 😞 I hurriedly strapped in and headed out hoping I'd get a few laps before the track was too wet for slicks.. and it stopped raining. Yay! The track wasn't even damp. And that was the last of the rain we saw. The remainder of the day was sunny, but with a stiff breeze blowing across the back straight off the sea. :sun:

Having recently had the six speed box rebuilt, I was hoping it would be OK. It was, but after the first session I came in and the gear stick felt horribly loose. I'd had the actual gear lever apart to give it a clean and some fresh grease, .. something was amiss. The bottom of the lever was nearly disengaging from the extension. I was quite pleased the problem was in there rather than in the actual gearbox. Had a bit of an adjustment.. removed some washers between stick and extension, and got it better, but definitely not what you'd call slick. Stuck with it for the day.. Will give it some serious looking at some time. 

Next little niggle.. Coasting in after a good session.. bwooosh! a load of coolant blew out from the expansion tank into the passenger footwell. :down:  I've had this before.. usually if the expansion tank is overfilled.. but I don't remember it being too full this time. Anyway, I let it cool down, replaced some of the lost coolant, and crossed fingers. Next few sessions I was watching the temp gauge.. it seemed to be fairly stable between 80 and 90 and then would suddenly rise over 100. Backing off instantly brought the temp back down. Back to the paddock, checked.. low coolant level ..  added some more water.. back out on track. The temps did much the same again, and again I added more water. Mike Whitty noticed a hissing from the cap at one point, so as I had a spare, I plonked that on. The coolant temp was then stable for the last few sessions.. I was even trying to stay out longer than usual just to prove it was fixed, but thankfully the driver overheated before the engine! Presuming it was just an air lock :yes:

Had some good sessions on track with Mike and Stoney. Unfortunately some of the gopro footage looks a bit foggy. Not sure if some dampness got inside the case, or I've wiped the lens with a grotty rag. There's a couple that seem OK, so will get a couple of vids up soon.

We even got the odd train going now and again. :sun:

93957928_Angytrain1.jpg.b5ac5e773aca75f877d285674aa4ae49.jpg

Andrew, slightly weird that the picture above is almost the same as the picture at the bottom of your post!! Even the hand position. 

• Haha 1

A couple of videos:

First one from early in the day, GP layout, (I'm not a fan of the GP loop) Chasing a pal in the red car. He's a couple of seconds quicker than me, but I was able to keep him in sight with a bit of "traffic assist". 😉 

And the second one is on the much better Coastal circuit. Second last session, featuring @Michael Whitworth in the black and red car, and Stoney in the red shed. I found the circuit not particularly grippy, or my tyres have seen better days.. Struggled all day to get that apex (and many others.. ;) )  at the top of the hill, Rocket .. I think it's because there used to be a nice stack of tyres there to aim for. They've replaced the tyres with floppy posts.. not such a good target. I made use of the "layby" there more than once.  

Anglesey is certainly a nice place to be on a sunny day! :sun: