Favourite food

BigSkyBrad

Might as well continue the theme!

What is your absolute favourite food, the one food you could gorge on 'til you want to pop!

Mine is New Zealand whitebait fritters (forget UK whitebait, they're the size of herrings almost!). The NZ whitebait are near-transluscent fish that are not much bigger than a matchstick - a dollop of them in a batter made from just a beaten egg and panfried in butter - OMG, I'm near drooling just thinking about it. Iconic in NZ.

If you have to stretch it out, then only between a white bread butty. In bread I'm good for a decent 6-7 fritters - without 10-12, if I don't have to share.

There is only a three month season for catching them, and strict rules on net sizes, net placement, river bank position etc, and heavy fines and/or fishing gear/vehicle confiscation for going outwith it all. They are caught by set or scoop net as they swim up coastal rivers from the sea to spawn - if there is a poor season a pound(lb) will sell for well over $100, and a black market ensues. My dad fishes for them and there is usually a punnet in the freezer waiting for me when I go home. And boy, do I make a pig of myself!!

IMG_20170102_102709-01-1024x895.jpeg.bec1a8c5c8de39e32d28a89697070355.jpeg

Second to that would be pipi fritters, which is a small NZ clam that lives just under the sand just past the low-tide mark - you find them in about knee height of water, by digging your toes into the sand. They are steamed open (just opened, not cooked), the 'meat' is minced, and mixed with a batter of beaten egg and a bit of flour, panfried, and on the same white bread butty, mmmmm.

A good steak for me. Best one being one I had in Argentina. Never had a steak like it before or since. 

Although seeing your post I do also love a fish finger butty on white bread and ketchup. Similar but different :d

Breakfast: full English with scrambled eggs

Lunch: Chicken saag with naan bread - not buttered

Supper: Adana - traditional Turkish minced lamb kebabs

Mince, turnip and potatoes followed by Eve’s pudding and custard.

On 30/05/2019 at 16:50, BigSkyBrad said:

Might as well continue the theme!

What is your absolute favourite food, the one food you could gorge on 'til you want to pop!

Mine is New Zealand whitebait fritters (forget UK whitebait, they're the size of herrings almost!). The NZ whitebait are near-transluscent fish that are not much bigger than a matchstick - a dollop of them in a batter made from just a beaten egg and panfried in butter - OMG, I'm near drooling just thinking about it. Iconic in NZ.

If you have to stretch it out, then only between a white bread butty. In bread I'm good for a decent 6-7 fritters - without 10-12, if I don't have to share.

There is only a three month season for catching them, and strict rules on net sizes, net placement, river bank position etc, and heavy fines and/or fishing gear/vehicle confiscation for going outwith it all. They are caught by set or scoop net as they swim up coastal rivers from the sea to spawn - if there is a poor season a pound(lb) will sell for well over $100, and a black market ensues. My dad fishes for them and there is usually a punnet in the freezer waiting for me when I go home. And boy, do I make a pig of myself!!

IMG_20170102_102709-01-1024x895.jpeg.bec1a8c5c8de39e32d28a89697070355.jpeg

Second to that would be pipi fritters, which is a small NZ clam that lives just under the sand just past the low-tide mark - you find them in about knee height of water, by digging your toes into the sand. They are steamed open (just opened, not cooked), the 'meat' is minced, and mixed with a batter of beaten egg and a bit of flour, panfried, and on the same white bread butty, mmmmm.

Some strange creatures down there, I would try anything, especially fish dishes although I would not gorge on my fave foods, wouldn’t want to eat them again for a long time if I did.   

When in the Seychelles we went to the local take away hut, I had Fruit bat curry and the Mrs ordered Sea Cucumber curry.  Hard to describe the two dishes as it was not flavours we are used to,  washed it down with the local beer and all was well. 

Fave dish must be Halibut or Monkfish with cockle butter sauce with crushed garlic new potatoes and stir fried veg.    Wife is an ace with fish.

17 hours ago, Alan France said:

Spicy burgers on the BBQ.

Hopefully homemade and not MRM

• Like 1

Not as bad as that pie from the Black Country with horns made of pastry, I forgot what it’s called.

24 minutes ago, pistonbroke said:

The Dog that left this needs to see a vet :barf: 

image.png.7484fe455e57bee2fc9b8bcf158a645a.png

‘Suum Cuique’.

I cant help thinking them things were trying to wriggle off the bread when the photo was taken. 

mine is a close contest between sashimi and pizza :love:

IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0063.JPG