Heads up re MOT for your kit

clansman

Just been for the annual MOT for my car and was told by the garage that I should have my V5 so they can check what the emissions test is for the car. I didn't know I was required to have that with me ! Thankfully the garage knows the car from previous years and knew what test to do They only realised when checking the latest data for the test. So anybody heading for your kits MOT make sure you have the V5 with you...just in case.

Thankfully the only issue I had was it had only done 370 more miles than last year !!!!

• Like 2

Yeah, I fell foul of that a couple of years ago, and have been bringing it in religiously ever since.

Did ours last week with no issues - never been asked for the V5. Was it your regular MOT place? May also be pertinent - is your car a Q or age related plate? (ours is a Q)

Had a similar problem with the miles too. Oh, the shame  :(

I have not been asked for V5 before, surely dvla has this info on-line and available to the test technician!

just in case I have put a copy of my V5 in Dropbox so I can print a copy of requested. 

• Like 1

Some newer Q plate cars now have the emmisions target printed on them,but I thought the MOT system computer would tell the tester what the target emissions are when he enters registration number surely????

• Like 1

Never been asked for V5.... my garage just read the chassis number and enter that.

Got my mot tomorrow, haven't needed it before. 

1 hour ago, CosKev said:

Some newer Q plate cars now have the emmisions target printed on them,but I thought the MOT system computer would tell the tester what the target emissions are when he enters registration number surely????

I thought so too.

• Like 1

Car is on an age related plate and I’ve never been asked for the V5 before. Third MOT at this garage , owner who also has a kit car intimated this was “ new” regs from DVLA/Gov for mot’s on Kit cars. Didn’t have any issue not having the V5 and it sailed through the emission test(and the rest). 

I've been asked for the v5 at both my recent Westfield MOT tests, both times by a newly trained tester new to my regular MOT garage, with the Q plate car i was told it was to cross reference against the VIN plate to make sure the correct vehicle was being presented for test, he also tried to check the stamped chassis number, but on the "kit" chassis it is buried on top of the front chassis rail as good as under the radiator, so he accepted the matching records on the v5 and VIN plate. Visual smoke only for the emissions on this Q plate. No reason was given for the 55 plate car, but he did check the VIN plate and the stamping on the chassis. The emissions for this car are stated on the v5 and on the MOT computer records for the car.

I've tried to find the regulations online. I've  found this, but I don't think it states checking about v5/VIN/chassis consistency:

https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of-registration-plates-and-vehicle-identification-number-vin/

Perhaps one of the MOT testers who use the forum will be able to shed some light for us.

Gary

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GaryH said:

The emissions for this car are stated on the v5 and on the MOT computer records for the car.

Are they on the front under “special notes” or on the back listed with the other details?

on my Q there’s nothing on the main list, but the “notes” show the emissions from when it was iva’d.

Last mot was visible smoke only and was after the new rules, so hoping same applies this July. 

There's nothing on the Q plate v5, so it's the pre 1975 rule, and so should be the same smoke only. It's only my 55 plate that has figures listed against emissions in the main section of the v5.

Gary

My 2016 had its first mot last month, was asked for my v5 by my regular tester, apparently that's the only place he could access the emissions.

20 hours ago, GaryH said:

There's nothing on the Q plate v5, so it's the pre 1975 rule, and so should be the same smoke only. It's only my 55 plate that has figures listed against emissions in the main section of the v5.

Gary

There's no emissions quoted on my W plates V5, does that mean I should be able to have smoke test only then??

That's  the sort of thing I can't find out for sure. Have a look at the emissions section of the regulations, click on the green bar on the web page that opens from the link above and have a read of the section, it's section 8. I reckon this is the relevant bit:

"Kit cars or amateur built vehicles will be Tested to the limits in the vehicle’s registration document (V5c). If the V5c doesn’t show any limits, it will be tested to the limits based on the date the vehicle was first used."

So a W plate would be emissions tested for 1980-81 or 2000 depending on whether it's  a suffix or prefix W plate. Another part of the emissions page has this section:

"If a vehicle first used before 1 September 2002 is fitted with an engine that’s older than the vehicle, it will be Tested to the standards applicable for the engine. The vehicle presenter must have proof of the age of the engine."

I guess this means that it's the 2002 regulations by default or the tester could ask for proof of age of the engine and accept the evidence for testing to age of the engine - there's a table in the Burtons catalogue that gives a decoding system for ford engines. This is why I'm hoping one of the MOT testers that use the forum will vome in and give us some clarity.

My key issue is that my 55 car is always borderline on the emissions test, I have to take it for a belting run to get the CAT hot before the test. If you've got a tester that isn't too "testy" I'd  stick with them.

Gary