Cutting and prepping steel wing advice please

Andy Banks

Andy Banks

My eldest has bought some deep dish wheels for his Mini, they look great but don't fit, they catch on the wing. So, it looks like I'm going to have to grind off an inch or so to allow the wheels and tyres room to turn. Before I go down this drastic route (it's a sound car bodywork wise, feels like sacrilege to cut it about), I'll see if there are other options he would entertain like sending them back and making do with the std wheels, but he seems keen and they are "supposed" to fit and understand some modification is expected.

As far it'll go right lock

20190523_162643 (Large).jpg

Yep the are fat and out there!20190523_162553 (Large).jpg

Full left lock only being stopped by the offside tyre hitting the wing but a bit more room (not under weight though)

20190523_162737 (Large).jpg

My plan, which I need advice on please, is:

1. With a suitably sized grinder, cut away just enough of the wing to allow free movement of the wheels under load
    1. Q: Should I aim to replicate the folded edge and trim that, won't I crack the paint by bending it or would a straight edge be ok?
    2. I don't think the replacement arches need the lip for mounting and the rivnuts are where they need to be, clean and solid
  2. Clean, sand and treat the bare metal edge
    1. Q: what should I use to treat the bare metal, how long should I leave it to "set"?
  3. Then while masked up, give the new edge a couple coats of matched BRG from a rattle can - I'm no good at this but I think it needs a coat or two and it will be hidden by the replacement arches anyway. Objective here is to keep it sealed and rust free rather than pretty
  4. With the same BRG rattle can, give the new fibreglass arches once sanded and holes drilled for the rivnut bolts a few coats
    1. Q: for a quality job I guess I need to do this under cover e.g. shed and dust free and ONLY apply a coat or two and allow to dry for a few hours before applying another couple - is this about right?
  5. New arches attached using the existing rivnuts which are all in good condition; whilst a similar size to the originals are actually shallower i.e. designed for wider wheels so they won't need chopping about

My other plan of course is to explain to him the error of his ways and send him packing to a local body-shop and have him pay to get it done professionally.

Advice welcomed before I take possession of @Ian Tolfree (tolf) - North London AO's grinder!!

Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep

I reckon you are going to create a load of work for yourself! 

You are are more than welcome to use my grinder but you need a very steady hand to get a straight edge, then treat it with an anti rust compound. Then messing about with fibreglass is a PITA.

Send the boy back for a refund!

• Thanks 1
Kevin (Mr T)

Noooooo, don't do it.

That's a classic!

• Like 2
Andy Banks

As it was.

Better...?

20190518_171620.jpg

• Like 1
marcusb

Andy can't you get smaller tyres on those rims? ie smaller wall depth p zero type?

Andy Banks
3 hours ago, marcusb said:

Andy can't you get smaller tyres on those rims? ie smaller wall depth p zero type?

'tis another idea, yes, will consult...

Andy Banks

He wants to go for it, going to have him find a pro to do a proper job. Anyone know of a good bodywork man in north london / herts?

Mark (smokey mow)
35 minutes ago, Andy Banks - Chairman said:

He wants to go for it, going to have him find a pro to do a proper job. Anyone know of a good bodywork man in north london / herts?

is @Marto303 near to you?

Andy Banks

Not too far Mark, good shout...

GaryD1971

Please don't let him watch the project Binky series! You think you have problems now...? :laugh:

• Haha 3
Andy Banks

Ok, our regular garage are happy to do it. 

SootySport

Tell the lad it will devalue his car having the arches chopped about. Will also have trouble finding a buyer when he wants to sell.

SootySport

And his insurance company won’t be happy until he pays extra premium. 

NigelO

The handling is likely to be noticeably worse with those wheels - the offset is all wrong, so it will tramline like, well, a tram.....

Also, as previously mentioned, hacking the bodywork on a classic Mini will reduce its value significantly.

Don’t let him do it - have the existing minilites painted to look like the new wheels instead

Andy Banks

Thanks folks, it's still on the drive (booked in for today) I'll speak to him this morning.