Sign in to follow this  
Kent Westfield

2.0L Zetec Blacktop + Twin 45’s: Engine flood on key off

Kent Westfield

Any thoughts?

Car has been in garage over the last 8 months or so with me sorting out some jobs. 

I had started it several times over this period.

Last attempt it turned but did not fire. Spark plugs were covered in fuel. Cleaned up and it started ok but every time I key off, it looks like the float chamber is leaking into the combustion chamber and again flooding.

When it does start, it runs very rich, smelling heavily of fuel and black smoke every where.

Any experiences or thoughts ? Engine is a brand new 2.0L Zetec blacktop (100 miles worth of running) on twin Webber 45s

Lyonspride

Was ever set up properly?

Assuming proper setup, the floats could be set too high or be perforated (of brass floats), or you may have worn needle valves........ With filter off, engine off, fuel pump running, do you get visible leakage?
Aside from this your likely going to have to strip the carbs down, do a full service and look for any missing parts (it's very common for parts to be missing or have been removed by people who think they're improving performance).

SootySport

My carbs leaked just like yours but now cured.  They also leaked when the ignition was turned off, fuel dribbled out of the vents at the top of the carb mouth on the filter side.  The engine oil was also contaminated with fuel, you could smell it with the oil cap removed.

Check the float levels are correct as in the Weber online or a manual measurements.  If they are, then measure the fuel pressure at the nearest point to the carbs, should be no more than 3psi ideally 2 psi

If all that is ok then you’ll need to change the needle valves and seats to new ones.   They are sold in matching pairs to ensure a good seal.    Eurocarbs sell the genuine article.

After all that, a good tune up should see the engine running ok.

Lyonspride

Incidentally, if you do have an external leak as mentioned above, then don't try to drive the car, this is how fires start, it only takes one small flame to split out through the carbs into the filter at just the right moment and your in trouble, especially if your running a foam filter.

Kent Westfield

Carbs were set up correctly by BD Engineering nearby.

Floats I think are set correctly. By flood, I am not talking about fuel over spill from the float chamber but in fact a drain of the float chamber into the combustion chamber after key off.

Main jets not seating properly ? I will say that may thank has been very low on fuel so I wonder if I have pulled up sediments from the tank ?

SootySport

Floats I think are set correctly. By flood, I am not talking about fuel over spill from the float chamber but in fact a drain of the float chamber into the combustion chamber after key of.

Im not sure exactly where your fuel is escaping, can you clarify?

If fuel is pushing past the needle valve then it will fill the carb completely, overcoming the float and will exit all possible vents and jets.