SpikeB

How much for engine mapping?

stephenh

I would be very surprised if a factory ecu from a major car manufacturer was mappable.

TableLeg
13 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

I have a mapping question that probably doesn't warrant a whole new thread, I'll piggyback on this one... 

I have a silvertop 1800 with original single throttle body and original Ford ecu. Since changing from the factory mile-long underslung exhaust to a sidie, the car has had a splutter at about 2000rpm on a heavy foot out a corner or overtake. It's barely momentary, but it annoys me that it is there.

Is the Ford ecu adjustable? I'm not chasing horsepower (it will always be 115hp), I just want to clean up the delivery. If doable, who in Central Scotland is recommended to sort it?

I have seen Ford Ecu's (Weber Marelli) have remap capability with the addition of an extra board for mapping access.

I would suggest you ask Stu here http://www.motorsport-developments.co.uk/

If he doesn't know I doubt anybody will.

the stoat
On 21/05/2019 at 11:48, AdamR said:

I've found that even though you might not end up with a better top end figure, a proper map will give you much better in-gear acceleration.

The engine is effectively a big inertia lump, and a lot of maps aren't smooth - meaning the engine is constantly trying to speed up, slow down, speed up, etc. With smoother / better fuel and ignition tables (and optimised timing at all tps and rpm zones) this does make the car significantly quicker to drive :yes:

This is some of the best advice in my opinion.  I got mine mapped for ease of driving as opposed to peak power.  As a result I seem to be able to keep up with higher BHP stuff on track, it is definitely not down to talent so would suggest it is because my car inspires confidence and pulls cleanly throughout the rev range.

• Like 1

SpikeB
On 21/05/2019 at 11:32, Chris Brading said:

Spike,

I assume you have the same set up as me it being a recent-ish new kit from WF?  I took mine to a rolling road to check the setup and all they did was balance the TB's. The map was OMEX- WF and produced 177BHP. I might be wrong but without changing cams, exhaust manifold & head there is nothing to be done to increase power.

I like you feel it is a bit underpowered as it stands,  I am not sure which way to go with it, I like the idea of a super charger kit. I think the engine bottom end can take a moderate super charger , not sure about the gear box though.

Yes I have the standard setup from Westfield, I will check the TBs are balanced correctly. Incidentally this is what the wife thought we should do. We have a popping sound when we take our foot off the accelerator whilst going along. 

Thanks for for all the advice from everyone!

Chris Brading

Spike,

My pops when I lift off and I like it!

MrPid

I would like to get mine checked, its been mapped before apparently but I think its over fuelling. There is a very stong smell of fuel (without any leaks), i need to whip plugs out and check them tbh.

I have a blacktop Zetec with Throttle bodies and Omex management. There is a tuning company called JKM Motorsport near me in Portsmouth who come highly recommended. I would love to get up to NMS but its a bit of a trek for me.

I like the bangs and pops on over run, but I know from previous experience how performance suffers if things are not as they should be. The car is quick, but I would like more torque if im honest.

Nick Mace
29 minutes ago, MrPid said:

I have a blacktop Zetec with Throttle bodies and Omex management. There is a tuning company called JKM Motorsport near me in Portsmouth who come highly recommended. I would love to get up to NMS but its a bit of a trek for me.

Let us know how you get on with JKM.  I'm Hampshire based as well and have the same engine set up as you so that would be an option for me too.  It's been on my "to do" list for far too long now...

Thanks

MrPid
21 minutes ago, Nick Mace said:

Let us know how you get on with JKM.  I'm Hampshire based as well and have the same engine set up as you so that would be an option for me too.  It's been on my "to do" list for far too long now...

Thanks

Will do - I might see if they are keen on doing a session for the club if I can get a few cars together?... :-) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ian Rabbetts

@Nick Mace and @MrPid

A quick search showed up a couple of threads related to JKM.

This one was from 2016 but might be worth getting in touch with the OP to find out how he got on

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/120449-can-anyone-recommend-a-omex-familiar-tuner-near-portsmouth-please/?tab=comments#comment-1266231

This one was about a previous Hampshire AO organising a rolling road day, so they have done a club session in the past.

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/77340-rolling-road-day-6th-march/?tab=comments#comment-772049

• Thanks 1

Rhett - Joint Black Country AO

I had problems with my Westi (blacktop with TBs and Omex) last year while speaking to Mark at Westfield he said that though the base map was not bad that a rolling road session was recommended to get the best out of each car as they could then tailor the map to the individual Westfiled characteristics. 

Like others getting it re-mapped was on my to-do list but as it seemed to be running quite well it never got to the top. I can't really comment on the difference as I took the plunge and had fast road cams fitted at the same time. What I can say is that I'm very please with the overall result,

SpikeB

We've only driven about 160 miles in it but I certainly wouldn't describe it as fast or having much torque however I may not be the best judge of torque as for the last 12 years I have driven a succession of 3l twin turbo diesels so a Zetec is always going to feel much less torquey.

Kit Car Electronics
6 hours ago, Ian Rabbetts said:

@Nick Mace and @MrPid

A quick search showed up a couple of threads related to JKM.

This one was from 2016 but might be worth getting in touch with the OP to find out how he got on

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/120449-can-anyone-recommend-a-omex-familiar-tuner-near-portsmouth-please/?tab=comments#comment-1266231

This one was about a previous Hampshire AO organising a rolling road day, so they have done a club session in the past.

https://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/77340-rolling-road-day-6th-march/?tab=comments#comment-772049

I attended the 2010 day (I used to live in Hampshire) - it was well run and good value. JKM obviously knew exactly how best to tie the cars down, and I'd have been happy to visit them for separate mapping services if I'd needed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steve Smith - AO Hampshire And Isle Of Wight

I’m up for a visit to JKM after my IVA. When I spoke to Troy at NMS he suggested getting the mapping done when the engine had done a 1000 miles? Do JKM map Omex ECU’s and throttle bodies?

Chris Brading

Spike,

like you I was disappointed with the throttle response and brakes.

But thinking about it modern turbo diesels with servo brakes respond very quickly but are not necessary faster. 

• Like 1

MrPid
1 hour ago, Steve Smith - AO Hampshire And Isle Of Wight said:

I’m up for a visit to JKM after my IVA. When I spoke to Troy at NMS he suggested getting the mapping done when the engine had done a 1000 miles? Do JKM map Omex ECU’s and throttle bodies?

I'll try and give them a ring tmrw Steve and let you know what they say.