SpikeB

How much for engine mapping?

SpikeB

I have an FW Special with a 2.0l zetec blacktop with Omex Throttle bodies. I want to get it tuned and mapped (it feels a bit under powered at the moment). It has whatever mapping Westfield supplied it with. 

Ive been quoted £450 for a mapping / tuning session on a rolling road. Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks. 

Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO

Previously has cost me £350 and then swapped mapper who charges £200 for half a day. 

Will depend on time spent I guess?

• Thanks 1

Archibald Meatpants

As Chris says, depends on the baseline and how much is needed to be done. I usually pay around £250 for half a day. I’m sure somewhere like NMS is more.  

Oliver1

Mine cost £350 which is enough!

Team_Awesome

Mine was £350. Doesn't charge for time, it was a flat rate until done.

the stoat

Do your research and do not base your decision on cost.  I did that once and it cost me a set of forged pistons due to poor mapping.

• Like 1

AdamR

Fully agreed. £100 here or there on a map is nothing compared with the enjoyment you'll get out of the car, and the consequences of the map being rubbish!

I would pay up to £500 depending on how much work needed doing. However if the car already runs ok, £350 should be enough to write a full ignition and fuel table correctly, providing no issues on the day.

By the way, that will be money well spent, the standard maps are generally not very good.

Rory's Dad

When I queried the bill, NMS said I'd get the money back in fuel savings on the way back to Yorkshire! 

• Haha 4

Chris Brading

Spike,

I assume you have the same set up as me it being a recent-ish new kit from WF?  I took mine to a rolling road to check the setup and all they did was balance the TB's. The map was OMEX- WF and produced 177BHP. I might be wrong but without changing cams, exhaust manifold & head there is nothing to be done to increase power.

I like you feel it is a bit underpowered as it stands,  I am not sure which way to go with it, I like the idea of a super charger kit. I think the engine bottom end can take a moderate super charger , not sure about the gear box though.

• Thanks 1

AdamR

I've found that even though you might not end up with a better top end figure, a proper map will give you much better in-gear acceleration.

The engine is effectively a big inertia lump, and a lot of maps aren't smooth - meaning the engine is constantly trying to speed up, slow down, speed up, etc. With smoother / better fuel and ignition tables (and optimised timing at all tps and rpm zones) this does make the car significantly quicker to drive :yes:

• Thanks 1

dombanks

I wish mine only cost that much when i did the engine swap!

Rory's Dad

Max BHP down a bit but torque up massively to 168ftlbs. Pulls like a train in any gear :laugh:! Thank you Troy. 

stephenh

Yes, it isn't about top end power necessarily. But things like throttle response at virtually any engine speed, and the ability of the engine to pull at low speeds particularly relevant on highly tuned engines. You will only get this as good as it can be with modern engine management if the mapping is done thoroughly by someone who really knows how to achieve the desired results. 

• Like 1

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary

Choosing an engine mapper is like choosing a surgeon, you might not be able to afford the very best, but you don’t want to select on price only either.

On the one hand, what they do will affect the very way the car starts, idles and most importantly drives, whether you are “on it” or just tootling along.

On the other hand, a mapper can also easily enough, though unintentionally, alter things that will see your car’s engine not even survive the mapping session before self destructing, let alone get down the road.

Recommendations from trusted sources are key in this field, when selecting who to do the work. Only then filter that list through other variables.

Bear in mind, too, that for anything other than the most basic changes, a mapper who knows your brand and model of ecu really well, will always be faster/more time efficient at mapping it. So even though their hourly rate might be a little more, in practice, the costs might be the same or even slightly less than someone who on paper, might be a little cheaper /hour.

• Thanks 1

BigSkyBrad

I have a mapping question that probably doesn't warrant a whole new thread, I'll piggyback on this one... 

I have a silvertop 1800 with original single throttle body and original Ford ecu. Since changing from the factory mile-long underslung exhaust to a sidie, the car has had a splutter at about 2000rpm on a heavy foot out a corner or overtake. It's barely momentary, but it annoys me that it is there.

Is the Ford ecu adjustable? I'm not chasing horsepower (it will always be 115hp), I just want to clean up the delivery. If doable, who in Central Scotland is recommended to sort it?