Help needed to save data on SD card before formatting.

Geoffrey Carter (Buttercup)

I have taken a lot of film today on an SD card.

My laptop is saying it cannot read the card.

I view the card on my camera and I can play all the clips but a message has come up to format the card.

How can I save the filming as there is around 5 hours worth before formatting the card.

My laptop is a MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.4

I need layman language please.

I have tried google but it seems I have to buy some software and thought I would ask here first.

Ignore the Mac books request to format. Can you connect the camera to you Mac book by usb and access it that way ? Alternatively have you any friends with a pc? 

• Thanks 1

I am unable to connect the camera as no usb cable with me.  It is a DJI Osmo. The data goes onto the card and I can view the data on my phone which is connected to the camera by wifi,......Hang on. I want to try something.

I'm not an Apple user but for a PC I would use a USB card reader to directly access the card. My phone did this to its SD card recently and I got all the contents back this way

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IanK (Bagpuss) said:

Ignore the Mac books request to format. Can you connect the camera to you Mac book by usb and access it that way ? Alternatively have you any friends with a pc? 

I don't know of that's possible without an Apple specific USB cable, I bought a cheap one for my missus to get photos from her camera to her iPad, it worked great for about 3 months and then Apple did an IOS update which then detected it wasn't a genuine Apple cable and refused to use it.
I then bought her a Windows laptop and got her to use that for backups instead.

• Like 1

Can you make a copy of the SD card somehow? At least then you will have a back up just in case you lose stuff.

If you format it you will erase everything on the card.

Going forwards you need to format the card to the correct spec to handle the appropriate files. Large video files prefer different formatting to smaller files.

There is a good piece of software to convert pretty much anything, called Handbrake (still free I think). I use that for photography when the camera raw updates are running late.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 

I am am going to try a USB lead into a different laptop that I have at home.