The Mental Health Thread

AdamR

37 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

Howcome you are not working?

Took voluntary redundancy and having a career break. 

• Like 1

I'm full of admiration for you Richard and everyone else who has contributed their stories to this thread.

• Like 2

Thank you nick, but life isn't easy and some folks cope better than others when bad stuff happens, I wasn't one of them. Even in the early stages back in 2002, I had a Auntie who told me "You just need a good kick up the ( you know what)". Now quite frankly of all the people I knew, she was last person I expected to come out with that. She did admit many years later she should never have said that but the point is that perhaps the illness is turning a corner and becoming more of an excepted thing to talk about openly - because it hasn't always been like that and be viewed in the same way as talking about any other subject.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, OldStager said:

I think it was perhaps the opportunity of just simply telling 'my story' to someone who not only listened , but understood - and the most important aspect was that they had empathy,

Richard @OldStager this statement  ^^^^^^  is the gamechanger (the empathy) that I have seen bring people back from the brink.. thank you so much for telling your story 🙂

Thank you, the first guy I saw back in 2002 I said I could not connect with, and it was empathy he lacked, he was new to the career and I think it takes more than passing exams to be a good counselor. The second guy in 2014 was just fantastic, in fact during that period one of my dogs passed away, I recounted the story of what happened to him and HE burst into tears. Now that is a person with empathy.

I should have written this in my main post, but if you feel you aren't 'clicking' with the person you are given, DO go back to your GP and tell them, DONT do what I did and sit on your hands for over a decade wasting your life away.

Exactly Richard, the empathy of others I have found to be very helpful, with no disrespect to the doctors and various professionals and even family who love you, if you can talk to someone who has experienced the same as you and can empathise it can be very very beneficial 🙂

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We’ve been worried about you @Jude - The Mad Widow - it’s great to have you back and know you’re so much better. 😊

• Like 3

Good to see you and your car back with us.

• Thanks 1

Welcome back Jude, so glad  to see you got through it. Never nice to read those stories and worse if you experienced it also. Despite my history with depression I seemed to have coped reasonably well  in respect of Covid, unlike an Auntie of mine who threw herself in Leeds canal during lockdown 1.

Lets hope we can all get and play soon , nothing beats my bad thoughts more than a darn good run out in the car - all at legal speeds of course ...

Keep safe please.

Richard

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scott Young said:

We’ve been worried about you @Jude - The Mad Widow - it’s great to have you back and know you’re so much better. 😊

That's so kind. It's been torture hasn't it. I've got my car on the road for essential shopping 😜

Glad to see you back Jude, it had gone worryingly quiet. Glad to hear you’re feeling a bit more up, now! Long may it continue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As long as he sticks to his word ( a big ask in politics) Mr Hancock has promised 79 million will be given to mental health services.

Not a second too soon, as when I went through the system, the cut backs and lack of staff were far too easy to see. Maybe waiting times will come down and they can pay for good staff again.

Although he also mentioned that some of this money will be spent on the 'online' help - this worries me as my sister tried this last year and it was hopeless and you get no sense of the other person showing empathy as easy.

Lets see what happens, but a good promise given anyhow.

Richard

Pure coincidence this evening saw me watching one of my favorite Youtube channels, and an apt discussion on today's video.

If you have ever listened to BBC Radio 4's The Infinite Monkey Cage with Prof Brain Cox , then his side kick on that is the presenter of the Cosmic Shambles Network, Robin Ince.

Please note the following video contains discussion about suicide.