Sign in to follow this  
Matt_S

Zetec Bellhousing

Matt_S

Hi all,

I am taking my zetec engine (blacktop) out later this week to modify the bell housing because it’s rubbing against the footwell chassis. The bellhousing itself is the Sierra cast iron type (so pretty heavy) with a cable clutch on the drivers side and the starter motor on the passenger side and fitted to a type 9 gearbox. My question, before I modify it, is it worth swapping to an aluminium one like this one from Burton Power, has anyone used one of these and is it a direct replacement, I assume the starter motor housing will still need modifying to fit correctly.

Thanks Matt

E9F6B6C6-6051-45DA-BB32-91428B70665C.thumb.jpeg.5a810f80573e7c12f8de78b889721bed.jpeg

jonjh1964
Posted (edited)

I've fitted one - needs the starter motor blister removed

image.png.b0277cf18fa213fe562d8c7d13665fb9.png

7 Kgs lighter than the original.

I got mine from RWD Motorsport RWD MS Alloy

Edited by jonjh1964
added RWD Link

KenP

Is this what you need LINK ?  If you give them a call they would be able to advise you as to the best option.  

Matt_S

The picture shows only four mounting holes, do you have to open up the fifth one or is ok to use just the four?

jonjh1964
1 minute ago, Matt_S said:

The picture shows only four mounting holes, do you have to open up the fifth one or is ok to use just the four?

The 5th hole for the gearbox isn't a mounting hole it allows a rod to come out of the gearbox on gear change - make sure you don't get it restricted with RTV.

Matt_S

Also on the RWD website the hole where the clutch arm comes through and the hole for the clutch cable is not machined is this something you have to do your self?

jonjh1964
1 minute ago, Matt_S said:

Also on the RWD website the hole where the clutch arm comes through and the hole for the clutch cable is not machined is this something you have to do your self?

Mine was done - ask them if you want to confirm.

Matt_S

Ok thanks, did you use a dirt plate in between?

jonjh1964

No, left it open with the original Westfield sump as that was how Westfield supplied it (would probably use a plate now however, now have a Raceline sump that closes the gap).

KenP

Best to speak to them about your specific set-up as they do various options. I found them really helpful when I bought mine.

Matt_S

Ok will do thanks