Watch Winder

Nemesis

13 hours ago, stephenh said:

I don';t see the point of wearing out the mechanism on the Omega

Buy a better watch :oops: :getmecoat:

I wear a self winding mechanical watch every day and have done since 1998. No signs of it wearing out and the only time it has needed repair was entirely self inflicted.

As for Dommo's post, I think that was irony...

I don't think I could afford a better watch! It is a Seamaster, new in the early 1960s, when I was still working full time I did wear it every day, but then I had it serviced regularly. The last time I had it serviced, it cost me around £300 sending back to Omega UK. Now I only wear it for "best" (the solid 18 carat case does look rather nice!) I don't have to have it serviced.

My 1968 Omega speed master MK2, (fully original) by the way... mechanical not automatic, has had TWO services on its life... the last one, 13 years ago, when I started to wear it in a daily basis because basically was jamming at 11. After this 13 years It still keeps COC accuracy, (It loses 2 seconds a day consistently)... 

Some of the Japanese vintage fly-back chronographs I do have, are unopened, and I don't plan to do so till there is a manifested problem with them.

I'm talking about watches over 60 years old...

Why do you send the watches to service? is because you find problems with them, or is for some sort of "preventive" servicing? 

Honest curious question here.

when I was dealing with watches we always had the believing that an unopened machinery will always be better than a serviced and rebuild one...

If it is waterproof then obviously it is also dust proof. Decay of lubricants can be the only reason for servicing I'd have thought. My late father's watch, kicking around in a drawer, still works reliably if called upon and he died in 1987 and owned the watch for a couple of decades prior to that. Cannot recall the brand but it's not a premium make.

Watch winder

somehow reminds me of the Gareth Hunt Coffee adverts! It’s all in the wrist

I bought three watches on an Asian airforce exercise in 1995 - two Rolex Oyster fakes in Malaysia for my dad and brother, both of which stopped within a month, and a knock-off Tag Heuer in Indonesia which was 195,000 rhubarbs but beat the guy down to 125,000, and it's still going to this day, 24 years later!!

On 14/05/2019 at 17:38, AdamR said:

Here's my watch winder, the sought-after abductor pollicis et digitus index model. Very expensive and rare, these two appendages can be used to wind even the most complex of watches!

IMAG1267.thumb.jpg.d8ca8287ae62ff0120fbbd278a7d484f.jpg

You need a new one mate - that one is really grubby and will probably end up slipping on the mechanism at a crucial winding up point 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

these two appendages can be used to wind even the most complex of watches!

How would you wind an Apple watch with that? :getmecoat:

Pedal like Hell and make sure your Sturmey Archer dynamo is engaged!

• Haha 1

When I sold my business and retired for the first time I bought a Breitling. (No retirement present from the staff, I’d sold them as well)

A short while later I met our local airfield manager who said he liked my watch. He then pointed to his which appeared identical, except for the Concorde logo. Breitling had given all 50 or so Concorde captains the first batch.