Watch Winder

Nemesis

Today I have put my OCD to bed..... I bought a watch winder last week, set the thing in motion after setting the times on the 4 watches, outstanding accuracy from all 4 watches.... see piccy!

It's amazing that the Tissot has matched the Breitling almost to the second and the cheaper dive watches are not that far off.

I reckon a medal or at least some beer tokens should be made available to the inventor of the watch winder, just as a token of my gratitude ! 

Nem........

IMG_5639.jpg

• Like 1

I bought Breitling, Rolex and Gucci watches on a trip to Hong Kong in the 1990’s. They all kept time to the second but after a short while the straps broke. Wasted my total investment of £12, gutted.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alan France said:

I bought Breitling, Rolex and Gucci watches on a trip to Hong Kong in the 1990’s. They all kept time to the second but after a short while the straps broke. Wasted my total investment of £12, gutted.

I have a Dunhill dress watch with a matching ladies' version bought in a Kuala Lumpur street market in 2002 for $15.00 and a Rolex from Taipei in 1986. The Rolex stopped working when my son dropped it on a stone floor and stood on it... 😁 Aforementioned son now has a A$6k Omega his Aussie mother-in-law gave him as a wedding present. Just wait 'til I get my hands on it!

My £20 Casio plods on... The time passes just the same.

• Haha 1

I have several watch winders, and they are a great invention I have to agree.

Although my breitling is useless at keeping the time

I don't get the watch winder thing AT all.

A watch is a machine, and as a machine, has a limited lifespan. Should be a sealed environment, so the time ageing should be mostly irrelevant... Why have them working?

I do have about 35 watches... most of them mechanical, a fairly few, automatic also. I would never consider having them working for the sake of it...

When I do have to use them, a quick spin to the manual winder, and a few more in your wrist, and the thing is going. Set the time is a 30 seconds operation if there is calendar to set, 10 seconds if not.

• Like 2

Agree with you, Maurici, I have 2 auto mechanical watches, an Omega and (for every day use) a Viceroy. I don';t see the point of wearing out the mechanism on the Omega which these days I rarely wear, and the Viceroy just needs a few turns of the hand winder once a day to keep it going when I'm not wearing it.

51 minutes ago, stephenh said:

Agree with you, Maurici, I have 2 auto mechanical watches, an Omega and (for every day use) a Viceroy. I don';t see the point of wearing out the mechanism on the Omega which these days I rarely wear, and the Viceroy just needs a few turns of the hand winder once a day to keep it going when I'm not wearing it.

Good post to randomly show off your breitling tho...😅

• Haha 1

Ha...   I was given a Chinese Rolex.   I wore it for a few days then threw it in the top draw.   A few weeks later I noticed it had stopped working and laughed about it being fake market crap.   I didn’t realise it was an auto at the time.  I give it a rattle from time to time and it springs to life.   The mariner is so copied everyone assumes If you have a real one it’s a fake.  It’s shame for the real users.     My everyday watch with weld splatter, scratches and grease oozing out the link strap is a Pulsar Kinetic. Had it for years, normally I smash the glass in no time this one has been lucky.   But Since getting knocked off my bike, I keep expecting it to stop.   Now when I move it about I can here the weight/ ball bearing rattling about inside.  I think it would keep you awake if it was on a watch winder.     Sounds more like a mini bowling ball in a mini concrete mixer.   

My first automatic watch made an audible noise when I put my hand over my shoulder to put a coat on. Arpeggio was the brand. I cannot understand why people spend so much on a watch when all watches do pretty well the same job as well as each other (to scupper the Skoda vs Aston Martin argument) for £5 or £50k Seems daft to me but, hey, I'm a Philistine!  :getmecoat:

My Submariner is the least accurate of the half-dozen watches I own, but is the only one I ever wear, so I can't be bothered with a winder.

I bought a Tudor Bronze as a change from the Sub, but I realised I dodn't actually want a change, so the Tudor stays in the drawer....

2 hours ago, NigelO said:

My Submariner is the least accurate of the half-dozen watches I own, but is the only one I ever wear, so I can't be bothered with a winder.

I bought a Tudor Bronze as a change from the Sub, but I realised I dodn't actually want a change, so the Tudor stays in the drawer....

I too had a Submariner and it was awful at keeping time, in the end it went back as they could not get to the bottom of the problem. 

I have a few watches and have to get into the habit of rotating them otherwise they get no wrist time. I too never use a watch winder, just pop it on after a quick manual wind and off they go. Never had an issue with any of them at all.

Here's my watch winder, the sought-after abductor pollicis et digitus index model. Very expensive and rare, these two appendages can be used to wind even the most complex of watches!

IMAG1267.thumb.jpg.d8ca8287ae62ff0120fbbd278a7d484f.jpg

• Haha 1

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 23:14, Nemesis said:

Today I have put my OCD to bed..... I bought a watch winder last week, set the thing in motion after setting the times on the 4 watches, outstanding accuracy from all 4 watches.... see piccy!

It's amazing that the Tissot has matched the Breitling almost to the second and the cheaper dive watches are not that far off.

I reckon a medal or at least some beer tokens should be made available to the inventor of the watch winder, just as a token of my gratitude ! 

Nem........

IMG_5639.jpg

Is that a retro watch charger?

It is to rock the watches, so that they keep on winding up when not on your wrist. Nothing to do with batteries, automatic mechanical watches don't have batteries, so nothing to charge! Just a spring which needs winding up by the movement of the watch.