Cleaning tips..

MrPid

I thought I would ask as i tried searching and drew a blank.

Looking at the lovely condition of the cars at Stoneleigh, most of which were immaculate, what is everyone's best tips for cleaning the metal work on their cars? The GRP and interior is pretty straightforward with lots of products on the market.

Its the wishbones, suspension, shocks, hubs etc which I think can make or break a car, which seem to be most fidly. I have TFR but that can be slightly too aggressive and I worry about streaks.

What does everyone else use? Any tips or tricks?

Cheers,

Stu

Stu, 

I have also been thinking along the same lines as you - Looking forward to the responses!

Brad

• Like 1

I just use soap and water with a brush then I just spray and wipe with this.

https://www.autobritedirect.co.uk/polishing-waxing-and-finishing/quick-detailers/berry-blast--quick-detailer-and-clay-lube/ad-berryblast-500

I don't understand all the chemical stuff but it smells nice, seems to keep it looking ok to me,  plus I like it.

• Like 2

I don’t generally do cleaning...   but peddle bike cleaner, something like muckoff and a brush is good on the fiddly bits of my bike.      TFR can be a bit much and can strip the passivate off zinc plated parts...  also upset anodised bits. 

• Like 1

At Stoneleigh somebody asked me how I keep my car so clean, my answer was 'the first thing to do'   ''is to marry Glen' they were a bit disappointed with that answer

The real answer is, lots of time and lots of elbow grease, once you get it clean it is easy to keep it clean on a 'little and often' basis

• Like 1

I think Julie keeps a painting of Rita, covered in ever more mud and muck as the years pass, up in the attic. It’s the only way.

I’ve been on Peak District runs where we look like our cars were parked behind a herd of cows in a wind tunnel, and Rita is near spotless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Julie Hall - AO Representative, Peak District AO said:

somebody asked me how I keep my car so clean

That was me 😁

I wasn’t disappointed - just trying to figure out  how I could persuade my “other half” to be as fastidious - and realising it was an impossible dream 😊

• Like 1

The trick seems to be to get ownership transferred to the Wife  ( or civil partner ) , as they alone hold the  power to keep the car spotless and clean .

By vertue of old chinee proverb  

No cleany 

No nooky !  :rolleyes:

• Haha 1