New prospective owner from Belgium

FORZA M

Starting to look around for a Westie, so I thought I'd at least register and introduce myself on what seems to be the most knowledgeable community about these I could find online:

- Quick intro: Ken, soon to be 30 years old from Belgium. Obsessed by cars and everything surrounding it.

Current "fleet" (Pictures at bottom if interesed):
- Honda Civic Type R FK2 (Daily) (Soon to be traded in for an FK8, these are 3 year company leases.)
- 1999 JDM Honda S2000 (Nice weather car)

- 2008 Alfa 159 SW 2.0 JTDm (My wife's daily / the trailer tow-car)

- 1998 Ford Puma 1.7 Trackday car (Shared with two friends)

- 1996 Honda Integra DC2 Type-R track project (For sale now)

- Rotax Max Tonykart (For sale now)

I'm now coming at a phase we're I've got a bit more budget for a proper toy (But no willingness to spend too much) and a lot less time, that's why I'm trying to cut back in quantity, but gain in quality. This means the DC2 has got to go, as has the kart. 
I'm then looking to replace those by something that will equal/surpass the thrills, and I think a Westfield would fit that description perfectly.

The (pipe) dream for me would off course be an S2000-engined specimen, but budget and the impossibility of registering a recent example in Belgium prevent this.

What I am looking for though then is a "ready to run" track-only Zetec/Duratec/Fireblade engined Westfield with independent rear suspension. (Preferrably caged).
Since I'll have no luck finding one of those over here, I'm now casting a wider net by looking in the UK as well. (I'm over there quite often anyway, so I could as well bring the trailer :p)

All the wile I'm looking/lurking on here for tech-info and experiences.

IMG-20190324-174214.jpg
eimon4.jpg
12439164-10154491015484239-4291972273945

1.jpg
DSC-0837.jpg

Welcome, your in the right place for friendly advice and help here.

good luck with your search and don’t be afraid to ask any questions 

Welcome to the forum.

Does the car have to be over a certain age to register in Belgium?

I recently sold a car to a chap from Belgium who said it needed to be 1990 ish.

stu

1 hour ago, woodman said:

Welcome to the forum.

Does the car have to be over a certain age to register in Belgium?

I recently sold a car to a chap from Belgium who said it needed to be 1990 ish.

stu

Stu, you might be correct. My 1989 car was sold to a chap from Belgium and registered with no problems. It was a few years ago though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nic (NICO) - Shropshire and Mid-Wales AO said:

Stu, you might be correct. My 1989 car was sold to a chap from Belgium and registered with no problems. It was a few years ago though.

It used to be so that a vehicle over a certain age (The date of first registration from your V5 would be taken) could be classified as a "Classic Car", and then would only need an MOT (This is a lot more strict, and not done at a garage in Belgium, these are dedicated semi-government-run Periodical Technical Inspection centers.)

That law however changed last year so now even those cars have to go in regularly, and that's when the issues start, because during these inspections, the car may not have been changed from a "Known type". (And what is a known type for a Westfield? They exist in all types and flavours.)
This means you might get it through one time with an S2000 Engine, and then the next year run into an inspector who looks a bit further and finds out the only "Type" a Belgian Westfield Distributor ever registered with them was with a Zetec engine.

You'd get a nice and red certificate telling you it's from then on forbidden to take it out on the road.

In short, yes, it's probably still doable, the older, the easier (No cat:CO2 Regulations) but you might be in for a surprise each year..

Since I have a towing car and a trailer + the S2000 for nice days, it just wouldn't be worth the hassle and uncertainty for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the club.   You could ask the Westfield factory which versions of Westfields meet Belgium’s regulations.  The ‘Sport Turbo 1600’ is sold in Europe and should meet most countries regulations.  Other than that just buy ex racing or sprint car and make it your own for track only.

Good luck with your search.