Which new tin top?

Onliest Smeg David

It's replacing my trusty Octavia diesel VRS time after over....

20190417_174621.jpg.1ad61abbd0acbfc80f3953d4178bda5d.jpg

Something a bit smaller and quicker :devil:.

After trying out lots of seats/driving positions and road testing the most suitable started to hone in on BMW/Mini.

A few 24hr/48hr drives later, my Original preference was to look for a BMW 135 or 140.

Then changes at work meant I will probably be doing much higher mileage,

so.....

20190417_174827.thumb.jpg.1c1fcac56f38b2637b6c0a0781155354.jpg20190417_174714.thumb.jpg.c2fd13f6bdf5a1b1e034a360540ba6d5.jpg

a 125d M Sport found itself onto our drive last week!

Had my first sprightly country drive Welsh side of Hereford - loved it, it's a very swift and capable motor

Very Happy :love:

I did chat to a few....

appologies for not checking out all the recommendations on here! :p:d:getmecoat:

Just watch the rear end in winter!

23 minutes ago, Terry Everall - WSCC Competition Secretary said:

Just watch the rear end in winter!

Ta Terry. Been doing a fair bit of swotting up and I am planning Winter tyres for the Coldest Months. 

Winter tyres are worth their weight in gold. I’ve got a set for my M135i. Without them on it’s almost useless when it’s below zero. With them on I’ve driven to alpine ski resorts in heavy snow, with no problems at all. 

• Like 1

I'd keep an eye out for a set of wheels now with winters on. Save the hassle of tyre swaps. They're usually lots cheaper this time of year.

My 330i on winters was epic in snow. I got up the hill into our street in deep snow where the neighbour's x5 on its daft wide 20" wheels was sat spinning all 4.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snap...  my 320d I bought a set of winters on bmw wheels.   Saddly they don’t have the tyre pressure monitor valves.   It just means on each start up there’s a ‘bing’ and a nudge on the idrive thingy needed.  No problem driving in snow.  It drives up the hill on our estate no problem while pretty much all the 2wd’s fail.   Abs etc works sensibly.   Lots of fun traction control off.  

Shame the *25d is a 4 pot , 6’s sound so much better.     I think even the new *30d is a 4 pot.  

The service periods of 20k are a bit long in my view so I dump the oil and refresh at 10k.    The timing chain is at the wrong end of the engine so best to look after it, lots early n47’s had timing chain issues.   My late 2014 is supposed to be all revised in that department , they renamed it the S47 after. 

My manual box is horible,  I wish it was an auto.  

65E5D235-95CB-42A5-862E-9E8C982362D1.png.fe25a638a8205f3ff927104b7eadec04.png6DFD08B4-2B57-428F-A7F7-67ABAFAA49A1.png.ef25815ae1d64772cca3c8feac1e80ea.pngD49251E6-0DB4-4E03-BE61-B70CAF1DF570.png.08ad7e12edf3a19020b863d93fe5a344.png

2 hours ago, DamperMan said:

My manual box is horible,  I wish it was an auto. 

I went for auto, very impressed with it inc. the flappy paddle on stearing wheel.

Majority available were auto anyway.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2019 at 15:12, Steve (sdh2903) said:

My 330i on winters was epic in snow. I got up the hill into our street in deep snow where the neighbour's x5 on its daft wide 20" wheels was sat spinning all 4.

Ditto the M135i. The only problem was the first proper snow day that I had, I spent the entire day powersliding round the local backroads at about 20mph. I did have great fun, but might have had to buy a new set of rear tyres at the end of the day...

One bit of advice Dave - if you're going to be changing wheels twice a year, get rid of the locking wheel nuts. I broke several until I got bored and ditched them. It was ok when I did them up carefully, but every garage would put them back on with an air gun, and I'd break them or the adapter trying to get them off. At one point I had to drive to the local dealer with winter tyres on the left side of the car, and summers on the right, having broken the adapter half way through.

• Thanks 1