Is this normal for a Xflow (a varied thread)

AlexSB

Hi all. 

I'm a new Westie (SE, 1600) owner. And know now that I've a hundred annoying questions coming up in the coming months. I thought I'd start an 'is this normal for a Xflow' thread, so that any future newbie doesn't have to ask the same silly questions I do. 

My first daft question. I've just been out for my first proper run (and what a day for it!). A lovely drive and, even though not super quick having no power upgrades, great fun - I get the Xflow sound now! 

When I arrived, and was finding a parking space, I noticed that the oil pressure was dipping under '20' when idling, after being fairly steady between '30' and '40' while idling and driving when not as warm. 

Is this pretty normal when up to temperature (around 90-95C)? 

Picture attached. 

DSC_1278.JPG

Looks pretty healthy to me. :)

The nearly empty fuel tank looks pretty standard too. :laugh:

• Haha 1

Yeah, the gauge seems to sway quite happily between empty and a quarter full. 

Adding only lightness doesn't seem to have added a whole lot of fuel economy, either!

Never believe or even remotely rely on the fuel gauge!

best to brim it, reset the trip, drive for say 50 - 75 miles and brim it again. Then you know how much it’s used and can thus work out what’s left in the tank (roughly). Then just get used to filling it up and use the trip meter as a gauge.

• Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, AlexSB said:

Yeah, the gauge seems to sway quite happily between empty and a quarter full. 

There’s an acronym for that - TADTS... they all do that, sir! :laugh:

• Haha 1

Welcome to Westfield life and all the foibles that go with them :d glad your getting out in this great weather 

Seems about normal for a crossflow. 

16 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Never believe or even remotely rely on the fuel gauge!

best to brim it, reset the trip, drive for say 50 - 75 miles and brim it again. Then you know how much it’s used and can thus work out what’s left in the tank (roughly). Then just get used to filling it up and use the trip meter as a gauge.

And carry a gallon in the boot, just in case. 

8 hours ago, Robin (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

And carry a gallon in the boot, just in case. 

Naah - where’s your sense of adventure :d

• Haha 2

Mine runs at 4 bar mate when ticking over and revving when cold, and when hot and after a good wringing, it drops to just over 1 bar at idle when really hot, but is up between 2 and three bar as soon as the revs get to 2000 rpm and above.

The noise is addictive mate...glad you feel the same way....

Any pops and bangs?

Mart.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mighty Mart said:

Mine runs at 4 bar mate when ticking over and revving when cold, and when hot and after a good wringing, it drops to just over 1 bar at idle when really hot, but is up between 2 and three bar as soon as the revs get to 2000 rpm and above.

The noise is addictive mate...glad you feel the same way....

Any pops and bangs?

Mart.

That sounds pretty much in line with what mine did. I'll put a tick against 'normal'! 

Yeah, a lovely burble when slowing down using the gears. Nothing too flashy, but then, I've no rev counter (and I've no idea if there's a limiter), so I'm not pushing it at the moment. 

My xflow is the same but tends to pop and bag when slowing down

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Peter Robinson said:

My xflow is the same but tends to pop and bag when slowing down

Do you know how much money “yoofs” spend on making their Corsas do this very thing :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 3