Oil leak

Gary Jayes

I have had my Westfield for 12 months and sorted nearly all leaks except 2. 

Base of dipstick And out the dipstick hole.

i have tried suggestions of Araldite metal putty but they only last a short time.

gaz

I’d use a good quality RTV sealant that’s rated for engine temps mate.

I’ve just put my Zetec back together and used an engine-specific RTV around the dipstick, only done 100 miles so far but I expect it will be fine, just make sure surfaces are completely clean, dry and de-greased before applying, and try to make sure there is a visible bead sticking out as this helps stabilise the seal.

Indeed, be absolutely scrupulous with the cleaning and degreasing (especially), of the surfaces, if it’s really prone to leaks, I’d even try and key the area to be sealed a little too, with a scotch brite pad, abrasive paper, etc. (Obviously, don't contaminate oil ways, etc.)

Ive found, despite having heard claims to the contrary, big differences between the different grades and manufacturers of engine grade RTV, with the very best, typically being the vehicle manufacturers OEM stuff, and the big brand types not far behind. Most of the cheap no name stuff I’ve tried has been OK or crap. But you never no which till it starts leaking again!

Loctite 5970 is the stuff to get, it’s not cheap but if you want the best and don’t mind splashing out...

11 hours ago, Paul T (tr3m5) said:

:yes:

make sure to leave for 24hrs to properly go off too

Cheers

11 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Indeed, be absolutely scrupulous with the cleaning and degreasing (especially), of the surfaces, if it’s really prone to leaks, I’d even try and key the area to be sealed a little too, with a scotch brite pad, abrasive paper, etc. (Obviously, don't contaminate oil ways, etc.)

Ive found, despite having heard claims to the contrary, big differences between the different grades and manufacturers of engine grade RTV, with the very best, typically being the vehicle manufacturers OEM stuff, and the big brand types not far behind. Most of the cheap no name stuff I’ve tried has been OK or crap. But you never no which till it starts leaking again!

Cheers

2 minutes ago, wizzer said:

This is the stuff I use, it was recommended by a wscc member it's not expensive and it works

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F160973989611

Tony 

Agreed, it was one of two sealants I had in mind when I said OEM is by  far the best, the other is Hondabond, but I wouldn't really classify Hondabond as an RTV sealant.

56 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Agreed, it was one of two sealants I had in mind when I said OEM is by  far the best, the other is Hondabond, but I wouldn't really classify Hondabond as an RTV sealant.

Thanks for that

Gaz